Chapter 36 | Pitfall (1)

* * *

After she finished washing up, next came getting dressed.

Rienne put on a lilac colored dress, one that had long since gone unworn. Across the thin fabric were small, detailed embroideries—so delicate she couldn't help but wonder if they might accidentally rip or tear in some places.

Practicality was key so most clothing that served no real purpose was quickly sold off, but this one remained.

The only reason Rienne left this one in particular set aside was because of Mrs. Flambard. She had cried, asking her to leave this outfit alone, insisting it'd be a waste to get rid of a lilac colored dress that suited Rienne's features.

[Mrs. Flambard] "Thank goodness I managed to convince you to keep this after asking a hundred times."

She nodded her head as she turned her attention to Rienne's hair, carefully dressing it to match the outfit.

[Mrs. Flambard] "Yes, I did a good thing convincing you. How could our country's dear princess only have plain and sturdy clothing?"

[Rienne] "I haven't really needed anything else."

[Mrs. Flambard] "But why? You look so lovely dressed so well."

[Rienne] "I suppose."

Mrs. Flambard, who worked diligently with her dexterous hands, braided Rienne's hair, pinning it back with violet flowers.

[Rienne] "You are very lovely. I know I was the one who dressed you, but you simply look too beautiful."

Rienne gave a shy smile.

[Rienne] "Thank you."

The woman looked at Rienne with an expression of happiness upon her face. Once she finished adorning Rienne's hair with all the necessary decorations, she shook her head.

[Mrs. Flambard] "Now, I must head for the Temple entrance while prying eyes linger elsewhere. My apologies I could not stay with you for your meal, Princess."

[Rienne] "No, you are doing something far more important. Please return safely."

[Mrs. Flambard] "Yes, my Princess."

With a tense face, she bowed her head and quietly excused herself from Rienne's room.

[Rienne] "I still have some time left."

She hurried to get herself ready, so she still had some time to spare before the promised time.

[Rienne] "Maybe I could work on altering the clothing? There must be something she hasn't finished yet."

So Rienne said out loud, but her body didn't move. For some reason, she couldn't stop looking in the mirror.

[Rienne] "Does something like this really suit me.......?"

Looking at herself from the front, it was hard to see all the flowers Mrs. Flambard had braided into her hair.

[Rienne] "I wish I could see it myself."

If Mrs. Flambard was telling her she looked beautiful, then it must be true, but Rienne still wanted to make sure with her own eyes.

I wonder.....if he'll think it looks nice too.....