Chapter 32 | Spark (1)

* * *

At that moment, Rienne's mind went completely blank, but luckily her hand knew to move on its own. She quickly grabbed the towel she had prepared nearby and used it to cover her bare body.

[Rienne] "Wha, what are you.....?"

But unlike her hands, her mouth couldn't speak properly.

[Rienne] "I, I thought.... I locked it....."

It was then that Black took his eyes away, speaking slowly.

[Black] "......So that's why."

[Rienne] ".......?"

[Black] "I thought the door was stuck, but it was just the lock."

[Rienne] ". . ."

So that's what he meant. He didn't know the door was locked so he ended up breaking in unintentionally.

Rienne felt her heart settle hearing those words. It gladdened her to know he didn't do it because he intended to do away with his good will just to be impatient about tonight.

But looking at him now, she realized he must want to wash up. He was still covered in blood and mud from the incident.

[Rienne] "I'd like for you to leave now. I've just finished, so I'll be out in a moment."

[Black] "Are you hurt?"

[Rienne] "........Excuse me?"

As if he couldn't hear her, Black stood still and continually asked his question.

[Black] "Your arms and your side."

[Rienne] "Oh....."

Wanting to hide her body from him, Rienne angled herself away and repeated herself.

[Rienne] "Yes, but please leave...."

[Black] "When was it? Was it when the cart crashed?"

No, not then.

When the cart crashed and the barrels started rolling towards them, Black had pushed Rienne to the side so quickly that they didn't even leave a scratch on her.

[Rienne] "No, I think it happened when I was in the carriage. And please don't stare at me like that.... Even if you're my fiancé, it's still impolite."

[Black] "Ah....."

Much too late, Black finally turned his head away.

[Black] "Pardon me."

Averting his gaze, he turned his back towards her. As he started to leave through the door with the destroyed lock, he slightly gestured his head back towards her, murmuring quietly.

[Black] "Then.... Aren't..." (1)

[Rienne] "I'm sorry?"

Maybe it was because he was facing away from her, but Rienne couldn't quite hear him.

[Rienne] "Did you say something?"

[Black] "It's nothing. Never mind."

And then Black left without turning back.

Click.

The door shut behind him, almost soundless in comparison to the booming noise from when it was opened.