alternative end

[trigger warning — death, suicidal thoughts]

RUBY HAD SCREAMED. Not from the splintering pain in her leg, but from the sight of Eddie within the eye of the storm. The bats had circled him, ready for their descent.

They had been so close to safety, but Eddie had decided to be a hero, and Ruby had refused to let him risk his life. So, with Dustin, the two had rushed back to the Upside Down, injuring themselves in the process.

Deep down, Ruby knew what came next, but denial kept her heart pounding as she forced herself to step closer. Through the daze of the pain, all Ruby could think about was saving Eddie Munson — whatever it took.

Yet, she was useless.

Just like when Ruby lost her dad.

"Please, please, please," Ruby whispered.

"Ruby," a voice echoed.

Hearing Vecna's voice, Ruby felt her breathing hitch from the fear. For a single second, her heart had stuttered to a stop.

"Why don't you come join us, Ruby?" Vecna questioned.

Ruby searched for the horrific form of Vecna, but she could not find him. Around Ruby, it was as if everything had frozen, where Dustin had vanished. Only Eddie remained with the swarm of bats descending with a tail wrapping around Eddie's neck, pulling him to the ground.

"Spare Eddie," cried out Ruby, quickly. "And I will join you."

"You have lost," Vecna's voice echoed. "To spare your friends now will only delay the inevitable. You're no hero, Ruby."

Currently, she was no hero, but this time, Ruby could be. As her eyes fell on Eddie in the distance on the ground, Ruby knew this was the only way to save him. There was also Max too, who was in danger, so perhaps this was Ruby's chance.

Maybe Ruby had survived the crash for this moment.

Instead of cursed to ruin the lives around her, Ruby could save a life, or distract Vecna enough until the others could make the final kill.

"Let Eddie go," Ruby ordered to the unknown.

"Come with me and I will leave your friend unharmed," Vecna offered, where Eddie remained pinned to the ground, unable to move, but Ruby watched him thrash, eyes wide with fear. "What happens next, is down to you. The fate of your friends is in your hands, Ruby."

Then, with that, a vine had wrapped tightly around Ruby's ankle. With a yank and a scream, Ruby had been pulled through a portal. Ruby's once broken leg was healed within her mind, ironically reminding Ruby that this was all in her head.

But, now, Ruby was in Vecna's mind as she was pulled along the wet, crimson ground. The blood clung to her skin as Ruby's body was pulled tight against a pillar, where the vines wrapped around her chest, tightening to the point that it caused pain.