I look down at Becca. Her eyes are so soft and the grin on her face feels so natural. I can tell that she really means what she's saying.

I nod my head, unclenching my fists. 

"Um, anyway. I couldn't really talk to you because you weren't at school, but me and Sam were going dress shopping tomorrow. This is probably a weird time to ask, too," She glances behind her. "But you could hang out with us if you want."

I nod again. "Thanks, Becca. Um... could I call a rain check? This weekend is just..."

"Oh, no-- yeah. No problem! Whenever you want," She replies with a grin. "I gotta get back to practice, but see you later. Okay?"

"Yeah. Okay."

She waves before jogging back to the cheer squad.

***

With another sigh, I make my way out of the gym. I decide I need to go to the bathroom, so I make a left down the first-floor hallway towards the girls' restroom. About halfway down the hallway near the staircase, I hear some guys' voices talking about who knows what. The restrooms are just to the right, in a little corner area, so I wouldn't need to pass by them. Just as I pressed my hand against the restroom door to walk inside, I heard someone say my name from the stairway down the hall. I stop moving.

"...Julie at all?"

"Nah, man. She pretty much dead to me," The familiar voice laughs. I knew that laugh.

"She was alright... until she went and got knocked up by Dig, man. Once they knocked up, it's a wrap. Can't nobody have her!" Another voice said.

"Man..." The familiar voice laughs.

"Is she even pregnant though? She ain't showing..."

"Nah, but Chris. Is it true her and Dig broke up 'cause she cheated?" I hear a bag of chips ruffling.

"Man, true or not, she a hoe. Tryna play me and act like she loved me, but then sleep with Jake while she was with homie?! She deserves to rot!" Chris replies.

Why would he...? What is he saying?! I creep slowly down the hall, trying to hear their conversation better.

"Man, that's messed up..." Another voice said.

"I appreciate y'all writing them posts on social media, gettin' it poppin'. I heard she be missing class, too. Hopefully, she'll take a hint and realize she not welcome in MY school..." Chris says.

"Facts!"

"Bro..."

I ball up my fists once again today. I can't just sit here and listen to this. With anger running through my veins, I charge towards the staircase where the three guys are posted, looking a bit too comfortable. I stand right in front of Chris, who's leaning back against the bottom of the stairs.

"Chris! What the hell?" I yell, my voice echoing through the hall. The hallways after school were sort of dark and quiet since the majority of students and staff had left the building. The motion sensor lights only turned on once I had approached these dirtbags.

"Would you look who it is? We were just talking about you... how you been?" Chris asks while chewing on some snacks. The two dudes with him cover their faces and chuckle.

"Yeah, I heard. Don't tell me it's true... the social media rumors?" I ask in disbelief.

"Rumors?" Chris pretends to think. "Oh, about you being nothing but a cheating skank? Haha, yeah. Pretty fun, right?"

"No. Not funny at all."

"Well... maybe not from your point of view." He snickers like a hyena.

My jaw tenses up. "...I had a feeling... but I really didn't wanna believe it. It was you."