What If?

I was distracted when I entered the library; I went into the office and grabbed my computer card. I grabbed the cart and logged in. I walked out of the office and got startled; Kristian was standing at the desk "What's up?" He shook his head "Nothing just helping." He handed me a couple books "They changed my schedule so I'm here now."

I smirked "Really? They changed Madison's too." He laughed "No I'm just messing with you. Finished my book report and presentation so hanging out here." I scanned the books "Would've never figured you to be into romance novels."

He leaned in "We'll keep that between us?" I nodded "Nothing wrong with it." I handed the books back and he was smiling "After school did you want to join me? I go Fridays to the children's hospital and I read to them. You might like it?"

I looked up "Here I was thinking you were into romance." He smiled "I can be. There's a little girl who loves them. Her name is Valerie." He pulled out his phone and showed me a picture "She's adorable." He smiled at her picture "You remind me of her."

The librarian came in and joked "Ditching again Kristian?" He stood up straight "Everyday Mrs. Connors." She looked through his books "What did you pick today?" She picked up one specifically "Any girl will love this one. I sure did." She looked at me "Have you read this Violet?" I looked at the cover "I don't believe I have."

She handed me the book to look at "Oh you must. It's about a girl who had a hard life but never gave up. She moved towns and met this wonderful man. We have another copy if you'd like to read it?" Kristian smiled at me "You should. I think you could relate to her."

Kristian went to the shelf and grabbed the second copy; he handed it to me. I checked it out for myself. The librarian came behind the desk "Don't be distracting my helper too much Kristian." She laughed as she shut the office door.

I grabbed a stack of books off the desk and put them on the cart; I walked to the shelves. Kristian followed me "So did you want to join me?" I reached to put a book but struggled. He reached for the books and pushed it in for me. I fixed my shirt "Thank you and I'd love to."

He set his stuff on the cart and helped me shelve multiple books. We finished with half an hour to spare so we hung out on the floor talking about some book recommendations and other things. The librarian came out "Wow! Already finished."

We looked up at her and she smiled "I'm sorry. Not interrupting." We both started laughing; Kristian was loved by everyone even the teachers. I stood up and went to the computer, I typed in one of my favorite books. Kristian stood beside me "Maybe we can find it at the public library?"

I sighed when I saw there was no search results; I shook my head "I've looked. Barnes and noble too." He looked at me "I'm sure you'll find it." The bell rang and I logged off the computer; I went to the desk and put my things away. I grabbed my backpack and book; Kristian took my textbooks from me.

I argued with him about it, I tried snatching them back but he shook his head "Your wrist is sprained." We got stopped by Karissa "I have a ride home. See you Violet." She quickly left; I looked at Kristian "Luke?" He raised his eyebrows "No. You should ask Madison or Karissa. I'm staying out of it."

I pulled out my phone and sent Karissa a text. Madison walked up "Violet." Kristian looked at me "I'll be outside." He turned and left, I looked to Madison. She frowned "Him too? At least you're still talking to me." I looked at her confused "What's going on?" My phone dinged in my hand and I looked at it. Karissa said "Madison slept with Luke while we were together and she's pregnant with his baby. Don't hate her."

I locked my phone and looked up at Madison "What happened." She frowned "Too much alcohol. I told him no that Karissa didn't deserve that. He didn't care and I couldn't get out of his hands. I'm horrible I know." I sighed "He raped you then? I swear I hate that guy the more I learn about him."

She looked away "I need to go. I hope we're still friends." I hugged her "I'm in no place to judge you and Karissa will forgive you. You can't help it." She started crying, I rubbed her back. She pulled away "You're amazing. I'll see you whenever." She walked outside; I felt terrible for Karissa. As for Luke I would've hit him twice as hard had I known.

I walked out to Kristian talking to one of his friends; I grabbed my books from him "Let's go." He snatched them back "I don't think so." He said bye to his friend and followed me to the parking lot. He unlocked the car "So what did she tell you?" I avoided the question "Did you get a car?" He leaned over the roof "No. I just never drive it to school. Karissa insisted Luke drive us or we take her car."

I got in the passenger seat; he got in and looked at me as he started the car "I assume you want to stay out of it?" I nodded "Not my business. I feel for both of them but I don't like drama." He smiled and chuckled "Me either." He reversed from the parking spot and we left school.

His phone kept ringing and he kept ignoring it; he noticed my attention on him each time it rang. He laughed "Exes right?" I shrugged "Wouldn't know." He looked at me surprised "You've never dealt with obsessive exes." I was embarrassed to say I never dated anyone. I looked down "I've never had to."

He chuckled "You got lucky then." I chuckled slightly "You can say that." He glanced at me "No way. Really?" I became defensive "How can you date being locked away besides school and errands? No one wants the orphan." He stopped at the light "You aren't an orphan. I never said there any issue with it." I looked back at him "I told you I don't get close to people. I meant it."

His phone rang again, this time he answered it "I'm with my girlfriend." He hung up and I turned my attention back to him. He smirked "Don't look at me like that." I rolled my eyes "I want no part in your business. Even as your fake girlfriend." He pulled into the parking lot, parking the car "Don't know. You just might be one day." He got out of the car before I said anything.

I got out and ran after him "You aren't avoiding that conversation." He turned and walked backwards "Do we know what our futures hold? We could date. We could turn to strangers. Only the universe knows." He turned back around and I caught up to him. We went into the hospital and took the elevator to the children's floor. All of the nurses greeted us and called Kristian by his name. Of course they admired him and knew him by name. Who didn't.