Chapter I - Move In Day

Receiving mail is an oddly calming feeling. A letter or package addressed to your name can mean you're getting a birthday present you've been waiting on for a week, a 50% off coupon to your favorite shop, or the new comfy crew neck you ordered. You get a little tinge of warmth when you open the package, and realize the universe is giving back for the tough shit it's putting you through. It's like a little surprise to brighten your day. There's only a certain period of time in your life when receiving mail is a true terror; when you're a high school senior. You sit by your front door, waiting all day for a white truck to deliver your future to you. It's either, "Congratulations!" or, "Thank you for your application." Your life is decided in a matter of moments.

At least that's how it feels at the time.

I'm proud to say I was early to the college application game. Started in August, submitted September. All of my chips were aligned to fall exactly how I wanted them to. And I'll be honest, with a 4.24 GPA and 1490 SAT score to top it all off, getting that "Congratulations!" from the University of Oklahoma was not too much of a surprise. It was when I actually committed to being a Sooner that surprised most of my friends and family. But here I am, 35,000 feet in the air, on my way to Oklahoma City's Will Rogers Airport.

My first year of college!

"Okay, who was in that new Marvel movie? The redhead girl?" my dad asks, turning uncomfortably close towards me due to the United airplane's tight leg space. He's been working on this one pop culture crossword since we took off from our two hour connection flight in Houston. It's been a nightmare.

"Scarlett Johansson?" I answer bluntly.

"Hm...no, that can't be right. Four letters," He taps his pen on his dry lips and scratches his slightly graying hair, elbow against the aisle armrest.

"Pugh. Florence Pugh."

My dad's face brightens, and he messily scratches the letters in the correct boxes as I spell out the name. He takes the paper and practically shoves it in my face, all of the slots in the maze accounted for, thanks to me. For a guy who religiously completes crosswords, you'd think he would improve. We high five and chant out quiet whoops as a little celebration, snickering when we get a rude look from a man across the aisle.

Our celebration is interrupted by a woman over the intercom, alerting us to flip up our tray tables and stay in our seats. I make sure my overstuffed Northface backpack is somewhat under the seat in front of me, and tap my mom's elbow to my left (yes, she won the window seat argument). I wake her, and let her know we're landing. She stirs and says nothing, silently yawning and coming back from sleep.

We're almost there. I'm almost there.

"You excited kid?" Dad asks, throwing an arm around my shoulder and squeezing me in. He's still beaming from the crossword victory, and is obviously more than thrilled to be back at OU.

"Very, I'm just a little nervous. My roommate could be an absolute wacko," I mutter, shaking my leg while I sit. I was hesitant to reach out on Facebook and Instagram pages to find a roommate, so I sporadically opted to go random, which is only just now setting in for me. I'm social, so I'll find friends, but I'm going in completely blind, seeing as I don't know anyone else who goes to OU. Plus, I don't really want to walk into my dorm to see some crazy bitch snorting coke off a mini fridge. I think my mother would demand I transfer somewhere northeast, if she isn't filling out the paperwork already.

"It'll be fine," Dad rolls his eyes with a smile. "You are so dramatic."

"Oh, I will be absolutely certain they are not a 'wacko' before we leave," Mom quickly interrupts just as the plane is starting its descent.

- - -

The thirty minute drive from Oklahoma City to the Walker Center dorms is spent with my leg still bouncing and mind racing. I'm an adult. I'm going to college to live on my own. My parents will be too far away to be controlling, and too far away to call an ambulance. It's all so real. The beautiful OU campus slowly passes us by as our rental car gets closer and closer to the designated parking lot for people moving in. All the plants shine green in August, and the sun illuminates the updated brick buildings, light reflecting off modern window panels. There are so many cars, so many people, so many carts filled to the brim with dorm necessities. There's hugging, crying, but most of all, smiles, and I'm just hoping my parents don't end up screaming at each other over whether my bed should be lofted or not.