❝PROLOGUE: Why Did You Do It?❞

Zzz

...

It was a quiet and peaceful night, the two brothers were asleep in their wooden double deck. The wind that came from the window had a soft breeze, causing it just the right amount of coldness and comfort spreading in the silent bedroom.

One cup was asleep, laying peacefully in his bed enjoying the resting hugs from the black-winged night. On the other hand, one mug wasn't asleep and yet still fully awake with his eyes open and filled with uneasiness.

"Cuphead?" Mugman whispered softly through his brother, expecting him to respond.

After a few seconds, there's still no respond. Mugman moved his feet as he looked down his bed to see Cuphead still asleep with his mouth open.

Mugman sighed, he couldn't sleep. Something was bothering him, a feeling of a bad aurora at this time made mugman shivered. He stared at the ceiling for a bit as he turned his head around to see the time, it was around 2-3am.

Feeling uneasy, mugman tries to sit up from his bed he thought through himself that maybe getting a glass of water could at least calm himself down and lessen his worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

Mugman walked over through the door and was about to open the doorknob when a call from someone stopped him.

"Mugsy? Where are you going?" Cuphead yawned with a restless voice.
!!!

The little mug flinched a bit as he turned around to face his brother, "O-Oh! You're awake! You scared me... I was just getting a glass of water and-"

"Why? You can't sleep? Wait... I know this..."
Cuphead said suspiciously staring at mugman.

"W-what do you mean? I was just about to get myself a glass of water... That's all!" Mugman gulped.

"Mugsy... You know you can't lie to me, I've known you for years! Everytime you woke up at this time, something's bothering you... So tell me, what is it?" Cuphead looked serious at his little brother commanding an answer.

"Fine... I can't lie to you now..." Mugman sighed softly then glanced over the floor feeling uncomfortable.

"I had a nightmare, about you and I getting separated by someone evil... I couldn't sleep after I w-woke up from that dream a-a-and-" mugman's sentence wasn't finished, and yet his tears and sobbing already interrupted him.

"Hey! hey! It's okay mugsy... No need to cry! No one is gonna separate the two of us okay? Believe me..." Cuphead said comforting his little brother by pulling him closer to give him a hug.

"R-really? You think so? I'd had this fear of being alone on my own and no one's there to help me..."

Cuphead putted his finger to his brother's lips as he shushed him, "Shush-shush! It's okay mugs... okay? I'm here, elder kettle is here, and all of our friends are here to help us in inkwell isle! So no need to worry okay? Everything's gonna be okay... " Cuphead patted his brother's back as he wiped mugman's tears away.

"T-thank you cuphead... I don't know what to do without you..." Mugman said giving his brother a big hug.

"Now, do you still need that glass of water or???" Cuphead ask teasingly.