Chapter 68: Winds of Change

Start from the beginning

At those words, the mutant fang fish leaped out of the water once again trying to get a bite of the fire ninja this time.

Jay awed at the creature "Woah. He's almost as hungry as you Cole."

"And twice as ugly as you Jay" the earth ninja jested playfully as they all broke out in good lighthearted laughter.

"It's time for the catch of the day" Lloyd smile as a fishing boat came into view in the distance. The green ninja then orders the others to get into a line formation with their dragons.

The giant fish makes one last mighty leap towards the elemental dragons, but instead of falling back into the water, it landed right on board the passing fishing boat.

"Woohoo!" The boys cheered as they circled the boat atop their dragons.

"Now that's what I call hook, line and stinker" the lightning ninja cackled as they flew off towards the shore.

~~~

After escorting the fishing boat back to the village, the ninja could finally take a step back and marvel at a job well done. That feeling is what always made the trouble all worth it.

Kai and Lloyd stood off to the side observing the inhabitants of the coastal village getting back to daily lives now that the threat was gone.

"Looks like we made this place safe to fish again" Kai said as they watched an old man buy his grandson a fishing rod.
"If your father was still here, he'd tell you he's proud." He compliments and rests an assuring hand on the green ninja's shoulder. "You've become a great leader, Lloyd."

The green ninja shakes his head. "No, we're a great team" he tries to smile only for it to falter. "Can't say I don't miss him..." he trails off averting his eyes.

Their conversation is brought to a pause as they watch the crane move the mutant fang fish from the boat to the aquarium attached to a truck.

"It's working!" Cole exclaims jumping for joy as he, Jay and Zane watch from up close in awe of the creature of the deep. The crane abruptly drops the fish into the tank causing the water to splash out and onto the three ninja.

The fire and energy ninja chuckle at the dummies then continue their private conversation.

"With my dad gone, sometimes I question where I'm going" Lloyd voices solemnly. "Sometimes I worry about who I might become" he sighs looking at his hands. Despite his best effort, the trembled at the thoughts and doubt that plagued his mind and fogged his perception.

It's hard to think about the hole in his heart his father left behind. Even harder to think of Garmadon's departure because of what came after.

He's long realized his actions were selfish. Acting out when his mind was clouded with grief and fear while misguided by his broken trust. The emotions he experienced at the time do not justify his actions, Lloyd's realized that now.

The more time he has had to reflect, the more he began to understand the gravity of what happened.

Even revealing the bigger issues that's been hiding underneath.

And the conflict with the spellbook was only the breaking point.

Yet reflection and mindfulness can only get you so far. That's where he's stuck in limbo. Where is he supposed to go now? What can he say or do to make it up for what he did?

Nothing could ever equal the weight of how much her memories meant to her.

The image of the spellbook being devoured by the orange flames haunted him. If only he could turn back time. Though time is not a means to be missed with.