CHAPTER 43: THE FEEDBACK

Start from the beginning

"It was perfect. There were just a few minor details that we need changed," she explains, "Just a couple color hues changed and things moved around. Is that all right?"

I nod. "Yes, I will get right on that and send it within the next week."

"Thank you so much," Magnolia says, "I'll email the list right now."

We say goodbye and I set my phone on the counter. George, Clay and I stare at it for a minute before the conversation fully settles in my brain.

Did she say list? I think to myself.

Before I say anything to the guys, I'm walking to my computer.

"Where are you going?" Clay asks; I can already hear him begin to follow me.

"Ugh, just let them go in peace," George mumbles, hating to do so much after just waking up.

I start to load up my computer. I tap on my desk impatiently as I wait.

"What's going on?" Clay asks from my doorway. George walks past him and flops onto my bed. I didn't make it this morning, so he takes it upon himself to get under the covers. I roll my eyes but don't say anything because the computer turns on.

I get to my gmail page as fast as possible. My tapping is getting louder and Clay tries one more time to ask what I'm doing.

"That was my boss saying that she looked over my code," I explain quickly, "She said she'd send it in an email."

"You're going to code right now?" Clay asks.

"What about pancakes?" the lump on my bed asks.

I ignore George and answer Clay. "I just want to see what I'm going to have to do later."

I refresh that page once. Then twice. Then on the third time a new email pops up from Magnolia Kennedy. "There it is," I say absentmindedly.

Clay takes a step forward so that his hands are on the back of my chair. George sits up, taking my blankets with him to the edge of my bed to see as well.

I click on the email slowly and scroll through the list of things that I have to change.

"That's a lot," Clay comments. George reaches for a pillow and throws it at him.

"Hey." Clay rubs the back of his head. "What was that for?"

George just shrugs. "It is called a throw pillow."

Clay leans forward to read some of the requests, and I can smell his cologne around me. Something in my heart energizes, stirring something in my chest. I want him to move. My brain can't focus now, and it needs to focus on this list.

Oh my god, I think, it's a full-blown list.

I slump back in my chair. The action makes Clay back up a little.

"What am I even doing?" I ask, "I should just stick to little projects."

"What?" George says, "That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard."

I turn my head towards him. "Come on, George, I was over-ambitious."

"No, this is what you do, y/n," Clay adds. "Didn't you code that entire elevator video for us?"

"Teach Sapnap how to code only to do everything yourself?"

"Remember you're good at this," Clay says.

I just shrug, slumped back into my chair. I feel defeated. I feel like I really put all my eggs into one basket when I expected this to be my 'big break'. Magnolia Kennedy doesn't even like my code.

Clay leans in once more, and I find myself holding my breath. His shirt hangs down to graze my shoulder. I shift away from the touch, knowing it was dangerous territory.

"It's really just changes in color and position," Clay says before leaning away.

"Didn't they give you those values?" George shifts his blankets. "I don't think that makes any of this your fault."

Clay moves away from my and sits on the bed next to George. "Aren't you doing what you love?" he finally asks.

I have to think about his question for a moment. Yes, I love my job, but something in my life feels like it's missing.

I love what I do, but I don't love sitting and waiting for emails. Letters and numbers of code fog up my thoughts ninety percent of the time.

Yes, I'm an ambitious person. And yes, they're right, I can do this. I think my question now is do I want to do this?

I stare at the email, re-reading the list asked of me. Simple things. Easy things. I can have it done in an hour.

But then what do I do? Sit there and wait for my life to begin?

I sigh again and look at the boys. George is wrapped in blankets. Clay's leaning slightly toward me, waiting to hear my every word. They want what's best for me.

"I do love it," I finally say, "I just think I'm getting burnt out from sitting at this desk coding."

"Then code in my room," Clay says quickly, "Just like we used to."

I smile, liking the idea of hanging out with Clay the way we used to, but his offer doesn't make me feel complete. There's something else here that needs to be dealt with, but I can't put my finger on it yet.

"Okay," I say quietly, not wanting them to worry. "Thank you."

Clay smiles at me; his eyes are soft. "Anytime," he mouths.

George plops back onto my bed now that we've found a 'solution'. "Can I sleep here for a bit? Your blankets are fuzzy."

"No," I say immediately. "Both of you; off my bed."

They smile and continue to lay on the bed. "But it's so comfortable."

"Shut up." I throw the pillow off the ground back on them. "You have your own bed."

They start laughing, and my mood lightens just a bit. I push away the small weight in my chest, begging it not to grow.

This is a great opportunity, I remind myself, This is what you're meant to do.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

george is my favorite.

have an amazing day <3