Chapter Five

1553 Westminster Palace London England: Isabelle's slow recovery from the poison

It was a fine Sunny spring day at Court as usual His majesty was dealing Court matters which Isabelle his beloved cousin was not privy to but her beloved Charles Brandon His Grace the Duke of Suffolk was the Kings best friend and had in turn been at Henry's side everytime something went awry. The Dowger Princess of Wales as she must now be referred to within the verge of Court.
Charles tending the King this morning they were out in the royal gardens taking a walk, " How is your Isabelle"? His majesty asked, I know it has been sometime since she has come out"! Charles nodded at this, " yes your majesty Isabelle is quite well remarkably shes not been more seriously affected by the poison it could have killed her"!

The King nodded " Thank God she did not die Charles for I still believe it was the Queen whom poisoned her, you were right to have suspicions of the Queen ... she cannot freely bare me a son"! Henry offered to charles, charles's son Edward was His Majesties God son after all Charles was made to The Princess Margaret formerly Queen of Portugal now deceased Duchess of Suffolk. " Are you determined still to marry her after all this Charles"? Henry the King asked with a wink and a smile. " Why yes if your majesty can think of objection to me marrying her .... I know in the past we've had our differences"! Charles hurriedly said.

" Hush now Charles say nothing of that.... you married my sister and you had your punishment and so you were rightly fulfilled and happy back then.... but now you have a fresh chance..... I give you leave to marry my cousin"!

Charles was gleeful at the thought of marrying Isabelle she had been though so much already and now at least he was able to protect her probably as a husband.

Eustace Chapys was walking though the corridor when he came Lady Isabelle.

" Good day ambassador Chapys"! Isabelle greeted him with a smile.

(Isabelles Gown for that day)

She hated her dresses to be too bulky she wanted to feel her legs moving beneath the gown. She curtised to Ambassador Chapys. " Good day to you my lady"! Responded the Spainish ambassador he had been at Court eversince the King had hot of his first wife the true Queen of England Queen Katherine daughter of Isabelle and Ferdinand.

The dowger princess Isabelle was betu fond of, though she could not openly so in front of his majesty for risking imprisonment in the Tower. He loved Anne and now Anne was to be Queen at last she had already set about changing things within her apartments, Sir Thomas Wyatt was one if her many admirers as was the musician Mark Smeaton.

The Said Lady Anne was the one behind Isabelle's recent illness that nearly killed her, the two assailants were caught and executed within days of their arrest.

George boleyn was popular about Court and Sir Thomas Wyatt poked fun about his royal titles he found all the courtly taking funny , though he was a Courtier himself.

Charles, was practically gleeful when he returned to Isabelle's chembers when he gotten there there was no sign of his beloved. " oh no that bastards got her again"! Charles panicked just as he was about to shut the door he heard her coming down the corridor worried for her safety Charles ran to her side.

" My love! I wish would not just run off"! Charles chided her gently taking her arm into his walking back to her chambers. " Oh Charles! I am quite well as you see"! Complained Isabelle. " still my dear! You should always have a gaurd with you I shall see to it"! Charles repiled kissing her on the forehead.

" In we go darling"! Charles ushered Isabelle into her chambers, " Charles what on earth are you doing"? Isabelle asked

" In we go darling"! Charles ushered Isabelle into her chambers, " Charles what on earth are you doing"? Isabelle asked. He silently led her to the bed and took her hand as she upon the bed. " Charles I don't understand what is this about have I displeased you"? Isabelle asked scared she might've upset him in someway.

" No my dear you not displeased me at all ..... I have been with the King this morning discussing an urgent matter"! Isabelle began to look worried at him, he placed his hand beneath her chin tilting her head up toward him then slowly moving it to cheek where he gently stroked it with his lightest of touches.

" Discussing an urgent matter! Heavens sounds rather serious"! Isabelle giggled. " it is my dear because you see"! At this point he dropped on his knee within her hand still in his, " Charles! No this isn't right! Get up this must be some joke... Isabelle laughed Charles kept smiling at her " No my dearest this is no joke .... " Lady Isabelle Harrington! Will you do me the honour of becoming my wife"? Charles proposed down on one knee within her own bedchamber.

Now she had tears within her eyes as she sat there upon the bed sniffing she laughed " oh Charles! You are silly"! Charles chuckled at her laughing, " you my love! Are the most beautiful beguiling woman I've had the pleasure to know at Court"! Isabelle laughed at his Charles's statement. " Come along Charles! We both know when I first came to court you were quite happily chasing woman round Court"! Isabelle countered.

Now, Isabelle found a reason to be happy, she had Charles and he and she would live happily at Suffolk place. She did not wish to leave Court so soon for the sake of his majesty and the said lady Anne.

Said Lady Anne wasn't to be pleased that Henry had given permission for Charles to wed again so soon after Margaret his sisters death.

" why are you allowing Suffolk marry Lady Harrington"? Anne asked his majesty.

" because unlike me Anne he is a gentleman and he will not fail her"! Came his majesties response.

" what about our marriage have you given any thought if that? Has She left yet"? Anne persisted.

" No I have told her that she must or retire to a religious house where she will live quietly for a while I will have to share her table and he looked away from Anne ..... her bed"! His majesty turned back to her.

" Her bed? You think its nothing to revisit your wives bed"! Anne spat.

Elsewhere Charles and Isabelle were celebrating their engagement within her chambers what they didn't know was the King was planning to announce it to the whole Court at tonight's Supper.

" How is his majesty"? Isabelle asked.

" Hes fine jubilant in fact hes marrying that woman he knows I loathe her and her father .... I warn you she will wreck havoc on this Court mark my words"! Charles told Isabelle.

" I feel for the Princess Dowger how dare Anne just step into the body of the Queen of England and usurp her place by his majesties side"! Isabelle fumed quietly.

With each passing week Isabelle became stronger and more forthright.

" What of his majesties Great matter .. its the talk of Court I've heard it myself"! Isabelle asked.

" The emperor won't like his aunt being pushed aside for that bitch I can tell you that"! Charles repiled sipping his wine.

" Surely Pope paul can issue something against the marriage to her he knows the Princess Dowger is a great pious woman"! Isabelle offered.