Chapter 48 - The thing of many faces

Start from the beginning

"No, no,no, I didn't run from Orion, and I'm not running from her. And more importantly I'm not leaving you alone in the dark again." Boa then immediately stepped down the stairs.

A sudden wave of confidence came off her. It honestly made me feel hopeful. I got this. Nothing will stop me from taming him. We walked further and further down the steps and soon I saw it. The basement was huge and empty, all but the broiler and the cage. Chains were wrapped around each part of Face changer's body, and he jerked around like a wild beast inside. Crying for Boa to help again and again. His face was Carmel in color, while big pink pigtails flailed around from his hair. He soon stopped flailing upon seeing us though. His head spun around upside down and stared at me and Boa.

"Boa, boa help.." His voice got lower and more demented. That's when Boa's soul sank again into fear. 

"Enough!" I yelled.

Which caused him to stop talking. Well, time to see if that practice worked . I let my soul loose and the low hum of the piano started to play. 

"Boa, don't interfere unless he comes for my throat." I said.

"Y-yes sir!" She stammered and stepped back.

Face changer stared at me in shock, his mouth ajar and his eyes squinting at me. I balled my fist and thought about everything I hated. The light Guardian, that guy from The Horn, the people who mocked me. I watched face changer back down a bit as the piano got more intense, the rhythm picking up speed and heat. Like someone slamming the keys with control. Then I opened my soul to his. 

Immediately everything went black. The scene quickly formed before me. A land with a scarlet sky and dark clouds. Grass that was painted gray and a forest that seemed to hold secrets in its darkness. A man dropped to his knees in the woods before a woman with flowing back hair. Black blood spilled from his face and onto the grass, I could feel burning and sharp pain that was all over his face. His face was purely naked, no skin at all. 

"The black mistress! Please! Help! Help! The Pumpkin king! He's too Strong!" He cried.

"What is your desire, my child?"

"I want to kill him! I want the strength to annihilate him! He took my child from me! And my face! I want to become a monster!"

The woman smiled and walked over. Her dark purple dress flowing in the wind as she approached. She kneeled down and rested a hand against his bleeding cheek. Then she leaned in, as if to kiss him. 

"Your wish is my command." She mumbled.

Then suddenly, the scene faded to black, my piano playing softly in the background as flashes came in. I saw him tossing and turning on the ground. His skin was turning obsidian, his body changing, growing longer. His screams took over my piano as it kept flashing and flashing. I watched as the wings burst from his back, his black blood flying in the wind. While his skin on his face grew and changed into a rainbow of colors. He cried out as he scratched at his face again and again. Begging for her to stop. His new found claws tearing at the fresh skin that has adorned his cheeks. Then it all went black.

I was suddenly back in the basement, and the air was ripped from my lungs. I desperately gasped to get it back and that's when Face changer started to rage. I panted and looked up. His face was flipping rapidly, again and again. Faces I've seen, faces I've never seen before and even monsters.

"Umm! Did you win the staring contest!?" Boa yelled.

Suddenly his face stopped at the skinless face from the vision. His black blood oozed out from it, and dripped onto the floor. While his bold red eyes glew, glaring at me. That's when he started to freak out. The whole cage shook and he screamed like the man from my vision. He wailed so loud I couldn't even hear my piano. Then crack! Chain after chain started to break and fall off.

"Nyx's what's going on! I don't like this! I don't like this!" She yelled. 

I took a breath and let the negative energy out. Letting it consume my arm, turning it black as it slowly slid up my body.

"Stay back." I demanded.

Suddenly he broke through all his chains and smashed through the cage. Screaming in hundreds of different voices, some human, some not. He crashed into me and tried to bite my face and I let all of my anger out.

"Who do you think you're yelling at!" I yelled and suddenly my piano burst to life. 

I grabbed his throat and leaped forward and slammed his face into the concrete wall.

'Yes! Kill him! Who does he think he is!' A voice yelled in my head.

"Right! Who do you think you are!?" I smiled and smashed his face into the wall again and again. Cracks formed in the wall and concrete fell to the floor. "I'm the king of monsters!" I yelled. 

His blood flew all over the room as I kept slamming it into the wall again and again. He tried to fight and scratch at me. But I didn't budge, I even started to laugh. He was so pathetic! I should rip his throat-!

'Nyx you're not a monster.' Casey's words came back. 

My claws tingled when I remembered her eye, and my mom's. Calm down Nyx, calm down. I took a breath again and again. The piano calmed down and slowly the darkness faded from me.

Damnit, I'm not fully in control…

I looked over to Face changer, who was breathing. But not moving. His face however was shaking. It switched and stopped at a face with peach and short brown hair. Then, right back to his normal white mask. I stood up straight and took a breath.

"From now on, you won't bother Boa, you won't kill human beings, or monsters people alike, unless I say so." I panted out and stepped away. "I'll rip your heart out if I even think you're disobeying."

With that, I turned around, and in that moment. His soul spoke to me. It asked. 

'Why am I like this?'

I stopped and turned back to him.

"Don't worry, once I've accomplished what I need to. I'll take you home. And we can pay back the witch who did this to you."