"Amelia, I'm sorry that it's taken me this long to realise that I want to be with you," I say, hoping my words will reach to her, "But the only reason I gave you advice on dating Ryan is because I was too afraid to tell you how I felt. A couple months ago, I didn't even think I actually liked you, I thought I was just jealous because you were spending all your time with Ryan."

"So you only started liking me after I began dating Ryan...?" she sarcastically remarks. I hold my head with my hands and take an exasperated breath. She's making this so difficult.

"It was the first night we went out," I explain to her, realising to myself that I've liked Amelia for much longer than I thought I did, "And I know I fell asleep and, honestly, that was the biggest mistake I've made in a while..." I move closer to her and look down at her fondly. "But that was one of the best nights I've had since I've been here in Seattle." I brush some of her hair out of her face and smirk as her cheeks turn red quickly once she's realised how close I am. "Then, when that patient hurt you, I knew how I felt." I exhale, truly taking her in. "I want to kiss you again," I say to her, "I want to do more than that." I see her eyes dart to my lips and her gaze softens as she stares at them. She bites her bottom lip as she looks at me, and I move my hand to her lower back and pull her closer to me. She doesn't stop me, she just keeps her eyes focused on mine.

"I don't know what to do," she confesses, our gazes locked, "You are...very distracting." I grin cockily as listen to her. "I really like Ryan," she says, and her eyes finally move to look at my mouth again, "But last night..."

"Was really good," I finish for her, waiting for her response. Her dominant hand slowly creeps up my chin and to my lips, her thumb brushing against my bottom lip as she stares longingly at it. I know she wants it, I want it too.

So, imagine my surprise when I go to kiss her and receive something else instead. I hear the noise first before I feel the pain, but regardless, I'm almost certain Amelia's just slapped me across my face, hard. I stare at her in confused silence as my cheek begins to burn from her attack. She's staring back at me in shock too, almost like she didn't expect to do that. I smirk at her and step back.

"What dress are you wearing to the banquet tonight?" I confirm. She can't even look at me now.

"That's none of your business," she says. Glad about the reaction I've gotten out of her, I resume the journey of the elevator and, the next floor it stops at, I come out.

As the elevator's about to close, I look back at her and throw a cocky smile. "You should wear something red." I definitely see a pair of blue eyes rolling at me in return.

---

"What's taking them so long?"

"I don't know," I say to Becca, checking my phone again to see if Amelia's read my message, "I'll go check."

"Do you want me to come?" she asks.

I hesitate for a second. Will she be able to pick up on my attraction for Amelia if she comes with me? But if I make her stay in the car, she may think something's up... "If you want...I shouldn't be long," I say. She settles for waiting in the car while I jog upstairs to Amelia's apartment. I enter without knocking, like I usually do, and I find Ryan rummaging in the fridge for something.

"Oh, hey," he says when he finally sees me, "Sorry for making you wait. Amelia and I were..." He pauses and grins, clearly a little drunk already. "Well, you know."

"Of course I do," I answer with a sigh. Then, Amelia comes out of the bathroom. She's saying something to Ryan about his dog, but all I can acknowledge is the bright red dress hugging every curve in her body, making her eyes twice as blue as they usually are. It's long, down to her ankles, and it's backless, showing off every flex of her shoulder as she moves about the kitchen. Her hair is out, and she has a full face of light makeup, and I can't stop staring at her.