A Crumbling Facade

Hyacinth woke up an hour later. Every part of her ached. A bone-deep ache that she had never felt before. Not to mention the pounding headache she now had. She groaned as she sat up from her lying position on the sofa, catching the attention of Ludlig and who she guessed she must now call mother. She wondered if Snape would allow her to call him something else. She would have to ask him.

She was pulled out of her thoughts by a gasp from Snape. She glanced at him to find his hands over his mouth and unshed tears shining in his eyes. She realised now that she had never seen Snape cry, and today he had cried more than she would've believed.

Ludlig smiled slightly and conjured a standing mirror to stand at the end of the sofa and nodded to Hyacinth. She slowly stood and hesitantly made her way towards the mirror. Before she made it in front of the mirror, she screwed her eyes shut. What would she see staring back at her?

She took a steadying breath before opening her eyes and moving into the mirror's view. What she saw made her gasp.

Her hair had lengthened down from her mid back to her hips and was now a deep black from the roots down, with the very ends of her hair being a slightly lighter brown. Her eyes were now the signature black of her mother's eyes with a ring of ice blue at the edges of her iris. Where her skin had once been slightly tan, she now had pale, porcelain skin, free of the freckles that littered her nose and cheeks. 

She had also grown about 5 inches, now standing at 5ft 7 instead of the small 5ft 2 she previously had been. She realised that her nose was slightly more prominent but still fit in with her new, sharper facial features. Once soft and rounded, her face was now longer and thinner, with cheekbones sharp enough to cut glass and a more defined jawline. Her lips also had a more pronounced cupid bow.

She realised belatedly that she wasn't wearing her glasses

She realised belatedly that she wasn't wearing her glasses. She found them twisted and broken on the floor but realised she no longer needed them. Returning to the mirror, she realised that she must've looked more like Lily with the glamour on because she looked most like her true mother underneath it.

She could pinpoint the few features she must've gotten from her father, such as the slight brown at the ends of her hair and the ring of blue around her iris, but she was more alike to her mother than anyone else. She grinned and turned on her heel, noting how her clothes were now uncomfortably short but not caring as she threw herself into her mother's arms, surprising him and nearly sending him to the floor.

And then she heard something she had never heard before. Snape's laugh. Deep and full and joyful. A genuine belly laugh. She smiled into her mother's chest and hugged him tighter. Finally, she had a family, no matter how small that family may be. Ludlig smiled, checked his watch, noting the late lunch hour, and decided that whatever else needed to be done could wait. 

The two before him had been apart for 14 long years. Nothing else mattered at that moment. It could wait another day. He told the two as much, and they both sent him matching grins before Snape side along apparated the two into Hogsmeade to have a much-deserved lunch and to get his daughter new clothes.

Snape grinned to himself. His daughter. Home. At last.