KABANATA 26 - The Little Things We Do In Life

Start from the beginning

"Tss, an angel?" I smiled and lowered my gaze.

"I'm not sure... but you do resemble a heavenly being." What he said made me giggle and feel like I had tasted something sweet in my mouth, and to stop myself, I bit the inside of my cheeks.

"All thanks to the dress, I guess," I said. What came out of my mouth was a shock to me. I never knew that the word 'humble' was in my system. This is not the first time I received compliments like that. In fact, I get that so many times that it already losses its meaning. But tonight, what he said and how he said it sends blood rushing up my cheeks. And to think that earlier, I learned to say 'po.' I am experiencing a lot of my firsts in this house.

"That's my Mom's wedding dress. She insisted on letting you wear that." I was stunned, moon-eyed, while I let my palm run through the soft fabric of the dress. I haven't worn used clothing, and I don't have any problem with people who do that because they conserve energy, but I have never thought it would feel this good. It feels like you're not only wearing the dress but the history and memory too.

Naglakad kami pababa ng hagdan at papuntang dining room. Doon ay nakita ko ang naka-suot ng asul na dress na Mom ni Wren, napapatungan ng suot niyang bulaklakin na apron. Kumaway siya sa gawi namin at ipinatong na ang mga pagkain sa lamesa. Hinugot ni Wren ang upuan sa gilid at pinaupo ako. Pagkaraa'y nilapitan niya ang Mom niya at tumulong narin sa paghahanda. They have maids, but they set up their table and based on the apron she's wearing, I bet she cooks these three dishes too.

Nang matapos ay parehas na silang naupo. Ang Mom ni Wren ay sa dulo ng mesa habang si Wren ay nasa kabilang side ng table kaharap ko.

"You look beautiful in that dress," bati ng Mom ni Wren na may malumanay na ngiti sa labi.

"Salamat po," I replied. The word 'po' comes out naturally now. I'm getting used to it.

"You know that's my wedding dress," sabi niya at ipinatong nito ang mga siko sa mesa. Pagkatapos ay ikinalong ang baba niya sa likod ng mga palad niya. Tumango ako. "Bagay na bagay sayo. Naalala ko tuloy nung nakipagtanan ako sa kasintahan ko noon," ani nito at napangiti sa sarili.

"You and Dad?" Wren shook his head and followed that with a chuckle.

"No. I have another boyfriend at that time. Hindi ako sinipot sa wedding supposedly namin. I was young, and broken... my head was muddled too kaya I grab the first guy I saw and married him on that spot." My mouth fell open.

"I was lucky it was your Dad, who has a secret crush on me," A silly smile grew on her lips as her eyes were on the ceiling and her mind traveled back to that moment in her life. "We don't usually wear formal when we dine together, but I'm having fun! Gawin ulit natin 'to pag-uwi ng Dad ni Wren."

Nagulat ako at napatingin kay Wren, he just smiled at me in return.

"Let's start eating! Charm, anak? Anong gusto mo?" tanong ng Mom ni Wren. I smiled shyly and ate to my heart's content. We spend a few more laugh as Wren's Mom talk about his childhood.

After dinner, she gave me a bag. She said it was her gift because I'm Wren's first girlfriend. I was baffled at the sight of it. Last year I posted an image of the same bag on my Instagram account with the caption, 'When will you be released?'. Then I cursed the shop and rifled it with bad reviews using several anonymous accounts when I didn't get to buy one. And now, it was given to me. There's truth in the saying that, if it's meant to be, it will be.

I went outside to answer Gracia's call. The wind is cold and smells fresh. I inhaled the scent of the trees before I answered.

"Gracia?" tawag ko.