8

"Honestly, you're starting to creep me out," Jackson said. It didn't make Lisa's smile waver any less.

"Why?" she cheerfully asked.

"College students should not be this happy. We're all inclined to be depressed or hungry."

"You're the only one who's always hungry," Lisa shot back.

"Just wait until you become a junior and all those free meal swipes go goodbye," he tsked. Today they were in the art studio and Jackson had asked Lisa to come over so she could help him pick which pieces should be presented to his professor. Lisa didn't see how she could help, especially when she had no eye for art.

"But seriously," he continued, flipping through some charcoal pieces and getting the soot on his fingers. "Why are you happy? Who's given you the time of day?"

"Huh?" Lisa was confused by his terminology.

"You know," he winked. "Some good ole sweet loving."

"Nobody," she rolled her eyes. So this was the real reason Jackson invited her over to squeeze the truth out of her.

"Oh come on Liz. You've been pinning over your professor for years-"

"I've only been here for about four months!" Lisa protested.

"-And we wanna know if it's something because of her or not!"

"Jackson, get real," Lisa rolled her eyes. "She's a professor. She would never jeopardize her career over a student. She doesn't even really talk to me. We're just student and teacher. And besides, I know it's going to be impossible to land her, so I'm living with the fact that she's just hot and I can appreciate looking at her from a distance." Wow, the amount of lies Lisa was spewing right now.

"Okay, so then it doesn't have to be her. It could be someone else. Some other chick."

Thankfully she was spared from further questioning by her phone.

It was a text from Irene. Inviting her to have lunch in the office with her.

Lisa bolted up from her seat. "Gotta go," she grabbed her stuff in a hurry. "Something came up."

"Sure. Just tell me all the details later!" Jackson called after her as Lisa rushed out of the room.

Lisa got to Irene's office ten minutes later, out of breath.

"Did you run here?" Irene asked in amusement. She was wearing a silky blue shirt today, the material almost shiny and woefully, and her shirt was buttoned up at the top.

Next to her on her desk were two take-out boxes from the local deli on campus. "Maybe," Lisa answered as the warm smell of food hit her.

"I wasn't sure what you would like, but I figured you young adults thrive on fatty foods and sugar, so I got you both," Irene said with a hint of amusement and nudged the container with french fries and a grilled cheese sandwich towards her. A Styrofoam cup with hot cocoa was also for Lisa and Lisa was surprised at how aptly Irene had guessed what Lisa would eat.

"Wow, you must have like a sixth sense or something. This is exactly what I would have ordered. But seriously, you don't have to get me food, I can-"

"Nonsense," Irene shook her head, opening up her own container. "I can't have my girlfriend collapsing on me."

A warm thrill ran through Lisa at those words. Girlfriend. She was officially Irene's girlfriend.

"What?" Irene arched a brow as she drizzled ranch dressing on her salad, noting Lisa's suddenly sappy look.