07. happily volunteering

CHAPTER EIGHT. happily volunteering

"THIS IS THE REASON I WAS LATE FOR CLASS." Dustin beamed, placing the trap that Dart was in on Mr Clarke's table.

After school ended, the group, excluding Mike and Will had gathered into Mr Clarke's classroom — going through with Lucas's plan to show him Dustin's discovery.

Mr Clarke nodded and leaned forward. "Pretty neat. These doors function?"

"Well, yeah, obviously. But it's not about the trap." Dustin paused. "It's what's inside. Now, this very well may change your perception of the world. . ."

Juno rolled her eyes, growing impatient.

"Consider my interest piqued." Mr Clarke grinned.

"All right, first, let's just clarify that. . . this is my discovery. Not yours."

Lucas threw his arms into the air, clearly frustrated. "Dustin, Jesus! Just show him!"

Dustin's face dropped. "I'm just trying to clarify—"

"Dustin!" Max and Juno said in sync.

"Okay, fine. . ." He went to open the trap, but before he could a very out-out-breath Mike ran into the room. Will close behind.

"Stop!" He yelled, grabbing everyone's attention and making Juno jump. "I'm sorry Mr Clarke. It was just a stupid prank."

"What the hell are you doing?"

Mike grabbed the box from Mr Clarke's desk. "We need to go." He declared, stepping back.

"Mike!" Dustin yelled at him.

"Right now." He said back, nearing the door. "Right now!"

All of them rushed after him. Max tucked her skateboard under her arm and Juno turned to give Mr Clarke an apologetic smile.

Everyone clambered to catch up to Mike. He ran in the direction of the av club. Upon reaching the room, he turned. He motioned for them all to go in.

Juno moved forward after Lucas went in, but Mike held out his arm, blocking the doorway.

"What the hell, Mike?"

"You're not a member of the party just because Dustin told you about Dart. Neither of you are." He looked over Juno's shoulder at Max. Both girls stared at him incredulously.

He stayed with his arm blocking the doorway for another second before he turned on his heel, swiftly shutting the door behind him.

"What a dick," Juno mumbled with a scoff. "He seriously deserves a good bitch-slap."