kurozukoru station

Keyla was always far too happy whenever they had to balance in between rooftops. The first few times, she tiptoed cautiously across the planks, but then her confidence grew exponentially. Keyla insisted on hopping across the boards and seeing how quickly she could cross on one foot.

Naoko supposed she hadn't helped matters, either. She had brought it on, she supposed, by accidentally laughing as Keyla scooted across a particularly wide wooden board with legs swinging comically. The other girl had spun back to look at her, shocked, but had done something strange every time since.

It had been funny, but now Naoko was only nervous. And Keyla continued to do it, even when Naoko insisted she should stop.

And then, the thing came back.

Naoko first saw the fin about nine houses away. It was absolutely silent, only drawing attention to itself by its movement. The hairs at the back of Naoko's neck stood up, despite the fact that the thing was moving in the opposite direction.

"Be careful," She said, not for the first time that day.

"I'm always careful!" Keyla replied, not for the first time that day.

They crossed that board without problem. The thing (eel? shark?) had disappeared. Naoko felt herself unwind.

But as Keyla made her way across the next plank, something rose out of the inky depths of water to meet her.

It was there, suddenly, in a flash of green splotches and slippery skin and bristling white teeth and a huge pink throat. Keyla screamed and hurled herself backwards. The board broke into splinters beneath her. Naoko lunged, hooking her arms under Keyla's and pulling.

Keyla was heavier than she'd expected. The other girl's feet scrabbled against the side of the house as Naoko gritted her teeth and tried to pull her up. The thing plunged back down into the water and readied itself for another jump.

Eventually, Keyla found a foothold and, with her help, Naoko was able to pull her back to safety. They collapsed onto the square rooftop, panting, Naoko's arms burning. When she turned to check, Naoko saw that all the blood had drained from Keyla's face, and all traces of a smile had abandoned her lips.

It scared Naoko, to see her like that. So she peeked over the edge of the rooftop instead.

A huge, yellow eye stared back at her, before it slipped back into the deep.

"It's circling us," Naoko told Keyla, in a whisper. "We should leave as soon and as quickly as we can. Maybe stagger how long we spend on each roof."

Naoko hated her own plan already. She knew she'd be too slow. They'd have to go one at a time - the boards weren't wide enough for two people to run at once. It would never work-

"I'll carry you."

Naoko shifted to look back and saw Keyla, standing, eyes narrowed. She looked determined, intense, focused. It was odd. Naoko wasn't sure how she felt about it.

"We can go at once, that way," Keyla added, misunderstanding Naoko's silence. "No offense- but you don't look very heavy. And I move across faster."

It wasn't an amazing idea, but it was the best they had. Naoko nodded.

Keyla turned her back to her, bending her knees ever so slightly, and Naoko, after a pause, settled her arms down the other girl's shoulders. Keyla hooked her arms around Naoko's legs and moved to where the other board lay.

Naoko readjusted herself, feeling awkward and clunky, when Keyla whispered something.

"I'm sorry," Keyla said, quiet, soft.

Naoko blinked.

"For what?" She whispered back.

"For being careless."

Naoko said nothing to that, but she (carefully, gently) buried her head into the crook between Keyla's shoulders and neck.

If Keyla felt the small, salty droplets trickling down Naoko's cheeks, she didn't say anything about it.