Flowers - Shin Soukoku

"Thank you for coming! Have a nice day!" Atsushi passes a bouquet of flowers across the counter to a woman who smiles at him before strolling out of the shop, the bell tinkling behind her. He sighs, leaning on the counter a bit and fanning himself. It's getting a little hot in here, maybe I should turn on the AC?

He leaves his post from behind the counter, winding his way through the aisles of plants and fertilizer and gardening tools to the back of the store where a large AC sits mounted on the wall. He presses the button to turn it on, and stands there for a moment with the cool air blowing on him. Ahh, that's better.

The bell faintly tinkles in the background, and he's drawn out of his trance, striding back to the front of the shop and to his place behind the counter, which a man is standing in front of.

"Hi! How can I help you todaayyy..." Atsushi trails off as he looks more closely at the man. He has mostly black hair, except for two chunks sticking out in the front that are dyed white at the ends. His eyes are a dark black, and he has an unamused expression. He is wearing a loosely-fitting t-shirt and jeans. Goddayum, this guy is really good-looking. Atsushi finds himself thinking.

"Hi, um, I'd like some flowers. What's the best kind for your girlfriend?" He coughs a bit into his hand.

Oh, he has a girlfriend. "Um, well if you want something romantic, I'd recommend roses, but I don't know what she prefers, so maybe tulips or daffodils, or something like that? What's her favorite color?"

"Oh. Uh. I don't know?" He coughs again.

"Are you okay?" Atsushi finds himself leaning over the counter a bit. "You're coughing a lot."

The man's expression stays blank. "I was born like this. Back to the flowers, I think she likes yellow?"

"Okay! Maybe daffodils then? I'll get you some right now!" Atsushi turns behind him to the rows of flowers displayed and grabs a handful of daffodils, wrapping them up and sticking little bits of baby's breath in between them. As he makes the bouquet, he can feel his spirits dropping a bit, but he shakes the feeling off. Who cares if this guy you just met 5 seconds ago has a girlfriend? I mean, it's not like you think he's extremely hot and want to keep talking to him or anything... hahah.

He turns back around, thrusting the bouquet into the man's hands. "Here. That'll be $18.75." the man tosses Atsushi a 20 dollar bill.

"Keep the change."

"Oh! Um! Thanks! Come again soon!" Atsushi can't hide the fact that his face just turned bright red so he laughs and shoves the money into the cash register.

The man raises an eyebrow at him, the corner of his mouth quirking up into a smile, and Atsushi's face blushes crimson red. "Bye." The man says, and he sweeps out through the door, leaving a blushing and confused and very in love Atsushi in his wake.

...

The next day, Akutagawa somehow finds himself on the same block he was yesterday, a few feet away from the entrance to a small flower shop. He has no idea why he's here, his feet just carried him. Higuchi really liked the flowers I got her yesterday, maybe I should get some more.

A small bell tinkles above his head, and the same man that was across the counter yesterday looks up, clearly surprised at seeing him again.

Akutagawa clears his throat. "My girlfriend... she really liked the flowers I got her so I'm gonna get her some more, any recommendations?"

The man gives him a look that he can't even begin to comprehend, a mixture of disappointment and excitement and sadness, and Akutagawa feels a little bad for some reason, although he has no idea why.