Birthday Party - Soukoku

Start from the beginning

"Um, soon I think. I hope this goes well and none of us get fired!" Higuchi grins at Gin, who smiles a little back. At least, Dazai thinks she does, it's a bit hard to tell with the mask and all.

"Oh! Guys! They're back!" Tachihara yells. Everyone scrambles to hide behind various pieces of furniture, and the light flickers off. Dazai scoots under Mori's desk, and a second later Chuuya joins him, their legs pressing up against one another. Dazai's heart speeds up.

"I don't know why we have to do this stupid party." Chuuya grumbles, "I mean, why can't Mori do this by himself, I could be actually getting work done right now, but nooo I have to be helping hang up streamers."

Dazai chuckles quietly and pats Chuuya's arm, trying to ignore the fluttery feeling in his chest when they make contact. "Well, it's this or Mori will, like, throw us in the dungeon or something, you know how he is when it comes to Elise."

"Yeah, I know." Chuuya says. He notices how Dazai's hand doesn't leave his arm, but he doesn't say anything.

They sit in silence for a moment, and the door opens. Two sets of feet enter the room. A small voice says "Rintarou, turn the lights on!" the lights turn on, and Dazai pops up from his hiding place, followed by Chuuya and everyone else.

"Happy birthday, Elise!" Everyone shouts.

"Hmph!" Elise glides past Mori and over to the table and starts stuffing her face with food. Mori trails after her nervously, asking her if she likes everything.

Chuuya makes a hmph noise and crosses his arms. Honestly, what's the point of all this if she's just gonna be ungrateful, like usual? Someone turns on some music, and across the room Higuchi nervously approaches the Akutagawa siblings, asking Gin if she wants to dance. Akutagawa says something, and Higuchi walks away. Poor girl. Akutagawa is too protective. Chuuya chuckles to himself as he settles into a chair with a glass of grape juice. (There's no wine, unfortunately, since this is a child's party)

He looks up to see a bandaged hand extended towards him. "Hey, let's dance!" Dazai chirps happily.

"Why." Chuuya says, sipping his grape juice. "I'm comfortable here."

Dazai tugs him out of his chair, or at least tries to, considering he has almost no muscle. "Cmon, it'll be fun! Plus, I feel bad leaving Tachihara all alone." He points to Tachihara, who doesn't seem to realize how bad his dancing is.

Chuuya rolls his eyes. "Ugh, fine." Dazai grabs his hand and leads him towards where Tachihara is. As their fingers connect, Chuuya feels something bubble up inside him, but he pushes it back down. Whatever the hell that was, I don't need it.

Dazai stops a few feet away from Tachihara and starts to dance, and Chuuya raises an eyebrow at him, but a few minutes later he finds himself dancing and laughing alongside his partner. Maybe relaxing isn't so bad, after all, once in a while.

Higuchi is walking around, taking pictures with a polaroid camera she pulled out of nowhere. Really, she's just following the Akutagawas and taking pictures of their every move. Chuuya would be concerned for her mental health but he's too busy dancing with Dazai right now.

After maybe 15 minutes, Chuuya sits back down, declaring that "that is too much dancing." Dazai offers to get him more grape juice and walks off towards the table with food and drinks on it, where Elise is still stuffing her face. Mori wandered off somewhere.

"Happy birthday, Elise!" Dazai says, patting her head and reaching for the juice.

She looks up at him and glances at the juice in his hand, then across the room to Chuuya, then back to him again. I swear to god, why have these idiots not confessed to each other yet, they make me want to throw myself out a window. She turns away with a hmph and walks off to find Mori and tell him how bad the snacks are, leaving Dazai very puzzled.

He brings the drink back to Chuuya, who downs it in one gulp. "Thanks." He says, wiping his mouth with his sleeve. Dazai nods and the two sit in silence until Higuchi suddenly pops up out of nowhere.

"Say cheese!" She says, holding up her camera. Dazai loops his arm around Chuuya's shoulder and smiles.

"Hey! Don't touch me, gross!" Chuuya tries to push him off, but even he's laughing a little. Higuchi walks away and the two men sit there for a moment. Chuuya notices that Dazai's arm is still around him. "Um, you can let go now." He mumbles, looking away to hide how red his face is turning.

"Oh! Right! Um, sorry!" Dazai unhooks his arm from around Chuuya. "Well, I'm gonna go dance with Tachihara, see you!" He strides off, and Chuuya is secretly grateful that he didn't have to see his now bright red face.

Oh my god, what's wrong with you? Dazai yells at himself as he walks towards Tachihara. And why was that more of a big deal than it needed to be? He gives himself a mental slap and then an actual slap, causing Tachihara to ask him if he's okay. You guys are just friends. Just friends.

...

After Elise got all her presents, she ended up leaving out of boredom, and Mori frantically ran after her, leaving everyone else to clean up by themselves. Dazai also left, saying he had a new suicide method he wanted to try out, although Chuuya knows he just wanted to get out of cleaning, although nobody could really say anything, considering he outranked everyone left in the room.

Chuuya touches down lightly on the floor, streamers he took off the walls bunched up in his arms. He feels a light tap on his shoulder. It's Higuchi.

"What do you want?" He carries the streamers over to the trash and she trails after him.

"Well, I was taking photos, and I got a nice one of you and Dazai, he already left, so I thought you'd like to have it?" She holds out a small photo, Dazai with his arm around Chuuya and Chuuya glaring back, but with happiness in his eyes.

Chuuya grabs the photo, startling Higuchi. He clears his throat. "Ahem. Uh, thanks, Higuchi. I think this place is pretty much cleaned up now, so I'm gonna go." She nods, giving him a slightly puzzled expression, and he quickly walks out of the room, hugging the photo to his chest, trying to hide the involuntary smile blooming across his face.