Radio Ping

The quiet rustling of falling leaves masked the complete silence of the park. Only that and the footsteps of Leah and Max were audible. The sun set on the two Agents as they strolled along the pathway. Leah looked out into the void. She seemed to lack her normal presence of mind, as if she was blind. Max peered over his shoulder to look closely at her.

"Are you okay?"

Leah jumped a little upon hearing Max's voice. "Yeah, I'm fine." Leah responded, now looking at the dirt she was walking across. Max knew that something was off about Leah, something was bothering her.

"You know I'm someone you can talk to."
"Fine."

Leah then made eye contact with Max, with a mildly worried expression on her face.
"I'm... worried. We were all enlisted as Agents, and the four of us haven't been assigned a mission yet. I'm starting to worry that the fun times we have are about to end."

"I-, don't think about too hard, Leah. This is what we enlisted for, so at least be happy that we had those memories with the others. You're talking about Arthur and Carmen, correct?"
"Yeah, those two were a bit hard to get a grasp on. They seemed a bit off. But at least we'll get to meet up with them tonight."

The two continue their walk back to their apartment. The sun setting behind the horizon as the cold autumn air swept past their clothes. Leah shivered a little in her orange jumpsuit as Max rested his arm on her shoulders. The couple walked up the stairs leading to their room.

Leah and Max arrived at their neatly arranged apartment. The lights shone a perfect white glow, illuminating the clean yet seemingly lived-in rooms. Leah turned to the heater and switched it on while Max walked to the kitchen to grab some drinks.

"English Breakfast or Earl Grey?" Max asked in a loud voice from across the room.
"Grey." Leah responded quickly.

Max walked back to the coffee table sat in the living room and gently laid down a cup of Earl Grey tea.
"Enjoy, it'll help you calm down."
"Thanks."

Max walked back to the mini-fridge and pulled out a half bottle of vodka and an orange. He rested a liquor glass on the counter while he started to slice the orange into wedges.
"Are you sure they're coming tonight?"
Max pondered for a moment as he applied the salt rim to the edge of his glass.
"Yes, probably."
The two sat down next to the coffee table, Max taking a sip from his cocktail.

Twilight fell upon the windows of the city as the pair awaited the others' arrival. Footsteps were heard outside the door of the apartment. The noise stopped right outside the door, and a person started to knock on the door.

"Max? Leah? Is this even the right room?" A low and raspy voice asked behind the door.
"Arthur? Come in!" Max responded.

A tall man with a cigarette in his mouth appeared in the doorway. He wore a dark suit, and his face was cloaked behind a wide-rimmed black sun hat.
"Long time no see, Max."
"It's great to see you Arthur."

Max walked up to Arthur and wrapped his arms around him. They patted each other on the backs and let go.

"Drinks?"
"Sure, thanks."
Arthur responded.
Max walked off to the mini fridge to grab beverages for the guests.

"Carmen's here too, right?" Leah asked Arthur.
"Of course she is."

A short woman hid behind Arthur's tall stature. Her face covered by neck-long black hair, and she was wearing a white lab coat. Carmen walked across the room and squatted next to the coffee table.
"Hi Carmen, nice to see you." Leah told Carmen.
She only gestured back with a wave before returning to silence.

Leah walked away from the two and brought back a portable induction stove. She rested a pot of water and copious vegetables and meats.
"Do you guys want soup?" Leah asked Arthur and Carmen.
"Yes, thank you." Arthur responded.
Carmen nodded at Leah's question.

The watch on Max's left arm started to glow.
"ORDER, ARE YOU THERE?" a robotic voice emitted from the device.
"Yes." Max responded.
"INFORM YOUR TEAM REGARDING A MISSION. PLEASE USE THE AGENCY RADIO."

Max walked back to the group with a soda and a beer in hand. He put them on the table and turned on the TV.
"A movie?" Leah asked.
"No, it's something else." Max responded

The channel was set to the Agency's frequency, as a voice was played through the speakers.
"TABS, KINDLE, ORDER, DEFT. YOU ARE ALL HERE, CORRECT?"
"Yes." Three responded, and Carmen nodded in agreement.

"YOU HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED A MISSION ON THE EDGE OF THE WORLD, NICKNAMED EDEN-227. YOU ALL WILL BE DEPLOYED THERE DURING THE MIDDLE OF WINTER. DELAY THE ATTACK OF THE SCAVENGERS ON OUR DATABASE."

Max and Arthur laughed and cheered, "Hooray for a mission!", while they started to drink and joke with each other. The other two sat in silence, it was befitting for one of them, the other not so much. Leah was a very warm and caring person, not one to sit in her own thoughts.

"I think the soup's ready." Leah said to break her silence.
She starts ladling out bowls for herself and the other three, her hand shaking slightly with each scoop. Carmen shuffles over to Leah and whispers quietly,
"Troubled?"

Leah serves a bowl of soup to Carmen and nods. They sit down on the couch, Leah shaking with fear and sadness. Carmen rests calmly and eats spoons of soup. Leah shivers and whispers back to Carmen. "We could all die... I'm scared of that."

She acknowledges Leah's worry and leans onto her. "Eat." Carmen whispers while gesturing the motion. Leah picks up her bowl of soup, her mind clouded by the thought of imminent doom.