She considers herself lucky to get on so well with her colleagues. There was little she would not do for Kim. She finds her very nice. Vina Alinas, on the otherhand, was an enormous help. The younger secretary had mastered her job extremely well and was very capable as Mika in most respects.

As she followed Kim into her office, the thought crossed her mind that if had to leave the company, Vic would have Vina to fall back on until she find a suitable replacement. Capable though, Vina lacks the experience and sophistication necessary to be secretary to the MD and Chairman.

"This is a very short notice, I know," Kim said as she waved Mika into a chair. "... but I need a huge favor."

"Fire away. I'll help if I can. Malakas ka ata sa akin. Ikaw pa." Mika replied with a playful wink.

"Well... I've been let down by someone. I have to attend a dinner party tonight. It's a charity thing, you know and I need an escort."

Mika's instinct was to say no. This has nothing to do with business and... what the hell! "I'll be glad to go with you, Kim."

"You will?" Kim expected she would be turned down again. She tried her hardest not to grin. She did not know what had gone on between Vic Galang ang Mika Reyes-Ravena during her absence from the office and during their trip to Nairobi. But Vic had been like a bear with a sore head since she had come back. Quizzing the MD and Chairman had got her nowhere at all and it would no doubt be the same if she ask her beautiful secretary questions. Her secretary! Why the devil had not Vic taken Desiree on and left Mika in her own job? Des would have coped splendidly working for the MD. But Vic had given her virtually no say on the matter. She made it appear that her stealing Mika to be her secretary was the ONLY solution to solve the problem of Cienne's vacated post... more like a fait accompli.

There was something in the air. Kim would have considered it romance only Vic was often in a foul mood these last days. 'Di ba pag-inlove happy mood dapat? As for Mika, that gorgeous smile of hers was a rare sight these days. This night out will do her good... though she had a strong feeling, Vic would not like it one little bit. Too bad!

"I did ask Desiree, but she said she already made plans for tonight."

For some reason, the information made Mika feel better about the idea. But why not do Kim this favor? What had she to go home to? it was not as if there were anything — or anyone— who needed her attention after she finished work.

In a matter of seconds, the date was fixed and she went back to her office. She had been in the office for fifteen minutes only but her boss' absence was something she felt acutely. Things were just not the same when Vic Galang was not around. She would rather have Vic and an awful atmosphere than no Vic at all. Why did she have to fall in love again? Why did she have to fall in love with her employer? Working here, there was no escape for her. She could not distract herself from her pain in any way at all because, present or absent, Vic's personality surrounded her here— in her office, in the work she was doing for her, in the very air itself.

It was three in the afternoon when Shiela Pineda came in and made things worse for the secretary. Both Vina and Mika looked up as the door to the corridor opened. People normally knock before walking in. Well, not this visitor. She was petite, curvaceous, immaculately dressed woman with regal air about her and a smile on her undeniably well maintained face. She walked into the office as if she owned the entire company...

Mika's stomach gave a sickening lurch. This visitor did not need to identify herself. Still she treated the woman with what she hoped was appropriate detachment.

"May I help you? I'm afraid Miss Galang is not here today. She is at the..."

"I'm aware of that." Shiela Pineda's voice was sexily harsh and controlled. "I'm Miss Pineda... Miss Shiela Marie Pineda. I believe we have spoken on the phone."