Chapter 38 - Success

Start from the beginning

Taking a step back to smile at me. Then y/n cheered out with excitement for my victory.

Makomo spoke softly with a sweet smile, "Tanjiro, you did great! As time passes please remember this moment."

She turns and walks away as she says "Keep winning for me, Tanjiro.."

Y/N smiles at me but remains quite. I turn my attention back to Sabito. Ready to hear him make a joke or give a new challenge.

Except he is no where to be found. I was sure my blade cut through his mask but here I stood gripping my sword at the boulder that lay broke in half.

I sliced the boulder in two

Gasping as I stare at the incredible feat. Feeling dazed and confused as I take a step back. That's when y/n rushes and throws her arms around me.

"I am so proud of you! Tanjiro-Kun!! You did it!" Her scent is full of happiness but I can smell the slight sense of sadness.

What about her?

I can't leave her behind...

Wrapping my arms around her and allowing my sword to fall to the ground. Lifting her off the  ground as I spin us around. Pushing my face into her neck as I take in a deep breath.

"This feels like a dream." I whisper against her skin. She giggles and squeezes me tighter.

"I promise you, this is real! Your training is over."

"Now it's your turn. Hurry and join me... I can't leave you behind." I whimper as I continue to hold her tightly, "Wait. I don't understand, where did Sabito go?"

"I will explain that to you after I win."

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

Your POV

Urokodaki rushes into the opening with some sixth sense of what has happened. Seeing him you give Tanjiro one last squeeze before pulling away from the embrace.

Taking a few steps back to give him a moment with Sensei. Listening to the speech as Tanjiro begins to tear up hearing that Urokodaki is proud of him.

That's when he looks to you, "The next round for Final Selection is in 45 days. If you can cut this boulder, I will send both of you together."

Tanjiro's eyes look worried as he watches you. Bending at the wait in a bow. "I will work harder than ever and win this challenge!"

Urokodaki smiles beneath his mask and turns to rubs the top of Tanjiro's head, "Tonight we will have a big dinner to celebrate!"

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

Days begin to blur together as you climb the mountain alone. Urokodaki demands that Tanjiro stay behind to prepare for the final selection. Leaving you to train alone with two ghosts.

Forty days later you challenge Sabito to a dual.

The moment your blade slices through his mask. Your breath catches as you realize the dual is over.

Sabito smiles with a hint of sadness, "Congratulation."

Throwing your arms up in the air to express your victory

Throwing your arms up in the air to express your victory. Joy mixing with relief as you begin to comprehend what this means.

I am going to final selection

Tanjiro and I are closer to

becoming Demon Slayers

That's when a sudden thought hits you... that this is the last time you will see Sabito.

The male is looking up at the sky with a truly peaceful expression. Breathing in slow and steady breaths.

"Sabito?"

"Y/N, Find joy during this journey

"Y/N, Find joy during this journey. Life can be challenging. Hold the ones you love closely."

"Your not getting sappy on me, are you?" You try to lighten the mood.

Already missing his playful and teasing nature. Tears stinging your eyes as you try to keep a cool composure.

"I am, but only for you. Don't tell Tanjiro about my soft spot."

Throwing your arms around his shoulders to hug him. Staying like this for a moment before you whisper, "Giyuu Tomioka misses you."

You can feel his body shutter at that name. Leaning back so he can look at your face. "How do you-"

"I wish you were alive."

"Oh Y/N, how long have you known?" Sabito muses as he watches you closely.

"The entire time. I will destroy the demon that took your life. I promise."

He thinks about this for a moment then says, "The two of you will be powerful Demon Slayers."

Smiling as he takes a step back from the embrace. Giving your hand a squeeze before saying.

"If I were alive. I'd fight Tanjiro for your hand." His eyes seem very serious and then he smirks. "He loves you."

"I love him, too."

Sabito takes in a deep breath,
"Goodbye, Beautiful."

"I am going to miss you, Prick."

He laughs as he begins to fade into the fog,
"I knew you didn't hate me."

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

I adore your comments and votes.⋆⁺₊⋆
☾ Don't forget to add this story to your Reading List if you want notifications whenever I add new chapters.

⋆⁺₊⋆. 𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕜𝕤 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘.

😭 Bye Sabito!
Next Chapter Monday 9.26.2022