CHAPTER 2: Sawyer Craig D'Laurent, CEO

IT was almost nine in the evening when Sawyer finally got home from an entire day of meetings and conferences. After getting off his black convertible, he threw the key to his valet and handed his briefcase to Chuck before going up the wide marbled stairs of his Malibu luxury villa.

The lights automatically turned on as they walked towards the huge glass door. A spacious and stylish hallway greeted them where three of his staff were waiting. They all smiled at him and followed him to his office, which is located on the second floor.

"What was that again?" Sawyer glanced at Chuck. Though he had clearly heard what his assistant had said inside the car, he still just had to ask again.

"Miss Mackenzie," Chuck responded instantly, making sure that he kept up with him. "She's asking why you still haven't come to Santa Monica yet, sir. She's been waiting for you."

He took off his tux before sitting down on his swivel chair. Oh yeah, now he remembers. Mackenzie has told him about her plan for her 29th birthday. She asked him to join her to Santa Monica this weekend but unfortunately, his weekend is going to be just like the weekends that went before.

He's got too much on his plate especially now that his father has just given him the most challenging yet most important job in the world for him so he just can't spend his weekend partying and getting wasted now.

The D'Laurent family is famously known for D'Laurent Bros. Winery, which has been their business for almost a century. Founded in Modesto, California in the late 1920s, the company has been the top producer and distributor of different wine and spirits to almost one hundred countries all over the globe. And being the eldest of the three D'Laurents, he is expected to follow his father's footsteps and continue the family legacy.

At 30, Sawyer is considered as the youngest CEO of their wine company and probably one of the youngest and most talked about bachelors in all of California. The news came as a surprise because nobody would have thought that his father, Robert D'Laurent would retire earlier than expected.

Aside from being an exceptional chief executive officer, the senior D'Laurent was strict but compassionate, focused but still had time for fun. A complete opposite of him, as he thinks about it. Sawyer has always been strict and focused and just like what his father always says, he'd probably die alone and lonely if he won't find a wife and settle down. And just like what he always asks his father, how could he find a wife if he can't even find time to enjoy a hot cup of coffee in the morning all by himself without thinking about work?

Even before graduating from Stanford, he already knew what his future's gonna be like - exactly the same as his father's. Luxurious, hectic, tedious. In fact, he's been preparing himself for that kind of life since forever - all the paperwork, the meetings, conferences and the stresses associated with it. And now, after almost a decade of working in the family business, he can perfectly say that he has mastered the art of being a "D'Laurent".

"Sir, it's Miss Mackenzie..."

Sawyer glanced up with raised eyebrows as he didn't realize that his assistant was still standing next to him. Chuck's lips set in a grim line as he handed him his smartphone.

"She sent a message again saying that if you won't come to Santa Monica tonight, you won't hear from her, ever."

Placing his phone on the table, he shook his head and pressed his lips together. Typical Mackenzie. Being the spoiled brat that she is, nobody dares to say no to her, except him, of course. It wasn't the first time that she wanted a break up and it surely isn't going to be the last. Sometimes, Sawyer feels like he's dating a clingy school girl. And if not for her looks, good education and distinguished family background, he would have ended their relationship a long time ago.

Oh, who was he kidding? He is surely the luckiest man on earth to be Mackenzie's beau. Everybody thinks so anyway - his parents, his relatives, even his colleagues. He has known Mackenzie almost all his life and if there's one woman that he believes should be his wife, it is Mackenzie Lorraine Higgins. An heiress to a few chateaux in Atherton, she is perfect for the role of the future Mrs. D'Laurent and he's certain that if he'd propose to her, she'd gladly accept it any time of the day.

After giving Chuck the last minute changes that he had made for the executive meeting next week, Sawyer stood up and sat down his office chair. On Monday is going to be his first meeting as the new CEO and he has to make the best impression possible.

Through the tall glass panels from his office, he has a clear view of the vast coastline. He has always loved this spot even when he was little. He can still remember the times when he and his siblings just sat at the balcony of this office overlooking the beach while waiting for his father to finish his work. Because afterwards, his Dad would fly their private jet to the Eleanor Chateau in Atherton where they would spend their holidays with the Higgins family. His parents and Mackenzie's parents go way back, even before they were born. Legend has it that their fathers were fraternity brothers and joined the army together and even then, they already made a marriage pact for him and Mackenzie.

And so even before Mackenzie and himself learned how to talk, their future has already been planned for them. That's probably the reason why he never made an effort to get serious with other women. Though he's got to admit that he's been with a few women here and there, it's all just for play. And it's all in the past. Because he's already made to believe that his fate is already arranged for him, that he's meant to marry his childhood sweetheart.

It's Mackenzie's birthday and if she had not called earlier, he would have forgotten all about it. He's not the type who remembers birthdays and other special occasions and Mackenzie should be used to that already, given that they have known each other for decades. Sawyer is not really a 'gift kind of guy' as well and that's probably something he has to change, according to Chuck.

But Chuck Reed should know better. He has been his personal assistant even before he started working as a sales representative, which was his first ever position at the winery. Chuck is a couple of years younger than him but sometimes, Sawyer feels like his assistant is way older than him especially when it comes to the dating scene. It was Chuck who told him that he should put more effort into his relationship with Mackenzie, that he must find time to be with her no matter how busy his schedule is.

And if there's someone who knows about the crazy schedule he has every day, it should be Chuck, too. So he's quite confused as to why he even bothered giving such advice. He wakes up at five in the morning, eats a little breakfast, runs along the beach for half an hour and goes to the office at seven. He spends his mornings making phone calls, doing paper work and meetings and the afternoons on conferences and business deals. It is never ending and honestly, if he could sell his soul to the Devil just to have an entire day for himself, he would definitely do it in a snap of a finger.

"Tell Mackenzie that I'll give her a call later," he then said when he realized that Chuck was still standing at the doorway.

"You mean, you're not going to Santa Monica, sir?"

"How am I suppose to do that, Chuck? You know my itinerary. I need a miracle to be able to get out of those commitments." He glanced at him and frowned.

"But she clearly said that you won't see her again if-"

"Mackenzie will understand. She always does, anyway."