Chapter 10 - Bait and Switch

The police station was pandemonium.

Cops and detectives were all scrambling to their stations. S.W.A.T was ordered to the Royal Woods news station, but after raiding the building, Wild Card and his cronies had already disappeared with the mayor. The Chief was using all resources he had available in an effort to find the mayor, with each passing second spelling her doom.

But Lynn had a plan.

"Chief," said Lynn. "I need to speak with you!"

"Not now, Loud," said Roxberry, shouting orders to his officers. Peters entered the room, handing a casefile to the Chief, who glanced over it, nodded, and handed it back to him. Lynn wasn't going to be deterred. This was the best chance they had at finding Lori.

"Sir, I have an idea on how to get Wild Card," said Lynn.

"Now's not the time to be a hotshot, Loud!" Said Peters.

"Sirs, please, just hear me out!" Lynn insisted.

The Chief paused, considering her for a moment. "Two minutes," He said.

' "Sir, every second we spend looking for Mayor Loud is wasteful," she said. "By the time we find her, it could already be too late."

"We get that," said Peters. "But we don't have a lot of options."

"My point is, we need to bring him to us," Said Lynn.

"And how do you propose we do that?" Asked Roxberry.

"By giving him what he wants," replied Lynn.

Roxberry and Peters paused as they considered what she said. "You want to use yourself as bait," said Roxberry finally.

"It's the best way we can find her," said Lynn.

"No way, Loud," said Peters. "That's playing into his hands."

"It's like you said sir, it's not like we have a lot of options," Said Lynn. "But I have a plan. He's bound to have someone on the inside, or at the very least listening to our police scanners. We can use that to our advantage."

Roxberry sighed deeply. He didn't like it, but as time ticked on, and with a lack of alternatives, he relented. "All right, Loud," Said Roxberry. "We'll do it your way. Let's hear the plan."

Lori struggled fruitlessly against her bindings. They had placed a bag over her head and moved her from the Royal Woods news studio to an undisclosed location, obviously to avoid the police apprehending them. She had to find a way out of this place, wherever she was. He was using her as bait to get to Lynn, and she had to stop him. If she could just get free, she could find a weapon, any weapon, and do what she should have done in that limousine, before he killed Bobby.

Her heart began to shatter again as she remembered Bobby's final moments. She tried desperately not to let despair enter her mind, but it continued to swarm around her like a cloud of locusts. All of this could have been avoided, all those years ago, if she and her family had just talked to Lincoln instead of just throwing him out to suffer. This was all their own doing, and now many other innocent people were suffering and dying because of their grievous and selfish mistake. She no longer cared if she lived or died at this point. Her only thought was to destroy the monster who killed and threatened those most important to her.

She stopped struggling as she heard the voice of Wild Card in the next room. He seemed to be talking to someone. She looked around the room, and there were several guards and henchmen who were tasked with keeping an eye on her, but most of them were either talking to themselves, cleaning their weapons, or doing some sort of other activity. A group of them was even playing cards.