Chapter thirty-nine: Charlie

Start from the beginning

"If they're free." I said. "I'll ring Lizzie and see." 

Picking up the phone, I shared a look with Leo who bounced up and down impatiently. 

"Hey." Lizzie said. "How are you doing?" 

"Good thanks. You?" 

She paused. "Better." 

I nodded, then felt stupid because she couldn't see me. Leo tugged at my hand. 

"Leo was wondering if the boys were free for a playdate." I asked. 

"Sorry, they're with their dad for the weekend." She said. 

"Ok. What are you up to?" 

"Not a lot. You could bring the kids over if you like, I'd like to spend more time with them." She said. "We could do some baking or arts and crafts." 

I turned to my son. "The boys aren't there but we could go to Lizzie's house and spend time with Lizzie?" 

He nodded, enthusiastically. 

"We'll be there." I said. "What time?" 

"Anytime." She said. 

"Ten minutes?" I asked, wondering if I seemed too eager.

"Sure. See you soon." She laughed and hung up. 

I smiled at my son. "Do you want to go and put your shoes on whilst I check on Maddie?" 

He ran off and I headed upstairs to Maddie's room and knocked.

"Cariño?" I asked, opening the door.

My daughter was sat in her chair, she stared at the wall, clutching a bottle of wine. Her eyes were wide and I wondered if she was still seeing the face of a nightmare.

"What's going on?" I asked.

She blinked up at me and I gently prised the bottle out of her hands.

"Where did you get this from?"

She shrugged and I put it down. Crouching down in front of her, I looked into her eyes. Her pupils were pinpricks and she struggled to focus on me.

Are you kidding me?

"Maddie?"

She looked down and a tear slipped from her eye.

"What's going on?"

She didn't say a word and I sighed in frustration, looking at the time. I didn't want to cancel on Lizzie but I certainly couldn't leave my daughter alone in this state.

"C'mon." I said, holding out my hand. "You're coming with me and Leo."

She shook her head.

"Yes Maddie. Come on."

"I don't want to. I'll be sick." She murmured.

"I'll look after you. It'll be ok."

She blinked and reached her small hand up to hold mine so I could pull her to her feet. I kissed her forehead and she slumped against me, my shirt growing damp from her tears.

"You went to see him." She accused, pushing me away and sitting back down.

I paused.

"How did you know?"

"Papá, I know you. You had to see him for yourself. You had to see if I was lying."

"You think I don't believe you?"