1. Trauma From The Past

The school bell rang out through the halls, informing hundreds of students that the day was now finished.

Finally, it was the weekend.

Instinctively, you picked up your books and rammed them into your bag, hoping to get out of class early. You wanted to get home quickly today so that you could get to the hospital in time for visiting hours.

It was your grandma. Unfortunately, she'd been put into care after signs of dementia had started to appear. It was one of the worst things that could happen to those who you love, being forgotten was awful. There were even days where she couldn't even remember you were her grandchild.

This was why you had made an effort to visit her every night after school, just so she wouldn't forget any more. You'd even started telling her stories from her past, just so she could remember herself as well.

But the most painful thing you had to do was reminding her how dad disappeared. Her son. So you often left that part out.

Still, all this sadness never stopped you. You just found a way to fight through it, just like your grandma would've wanted.

"Y/n."

A voice shook you out of your thoughts.

"Y/n, are you listening?"

It was Gwen. You stood up from your desk, turning around to face your best friend, forcing a smile onto your face as you did so.

"Yeah, what's up?"

You both picked up your bags and started walking out of the classroom together. She knew that you needed to go, which was why she kept her conversation short.

"Look," She began, "I know you're off to the hospital again tonight, but I was wondering, afterwards, would you maybe want to come to mine? Mum's cooking lasagna."

Gwen shot you a hopeful smile and you immediately felt guilty about the answer that was about to come out of your mouth.

"Thanks but no," You gave a weak, apologetic smile, "I think I'll just stay in, read a book or something. I really need a break."

"So I'll just be studying by myself then?" Gwen stuck her bottom lip out, teasing you.

You just grinned, "At this rate, you might even manage to beat me at the end of year exams."

"Oh shut up," Gwen nudged you, chuckling lightly.

The two of you turned the corner, heading out of the bleak locker-ridden corridors and out onto the yard outside. School goers rushed by, hurrying to the bike sheds or the bus stop, each wanting to get home, ready for the weekend.

Gwen held her books tightly against her chest, her neat blonde hair dangling slightly over them.

"Bye."

"See ya."

She gave you a smile before striding away, her green eyes glinting in the afternoon sun. The knee high boots she always seemed to wear made that 'clunk' sort of noise as she disappeared into the mass of students surrounding the building. And then she was gone.

As soon as you lost sight of her, you sighed, pulling your bag onto your shoulder and heading out of the grounds. You'd probably call her tonight, you liked her more than you'd like to admit.

It wasn't a long walk to the hospital, only about twenty minutes. Still, it was easy to get lost in New York. Every block looked the same. You plugged in your headphones and shut the rest of the world out.

When music filled your ears, you always found yourself feeling less alone. Whether it was Arctic Monkeys, The Smiths or Oasis, it didn't matter. As long as there was some sort of noise and a decent beat, you wouldn't complain.