{Chapter 17} Birthday Date

Start from the beginning

I looked down directly at Marley to see she was blushing like crazy, and her face showed sheer embarrassment and shock at what everybody was doing. We all looked at Marley as we chanted the birthday song, “Happy Birthday to you!” Everyone yelled smiling at Marley, who continued to blush but smiled at everyone else. Once the song was over everyone was either laughing at what they just did or went over to congratulate Marley on her twentieth birthday, I grinned as I started to make my way over to her. I noticed two guys, who were probably around my age, standing in front of Marley, wishing her a happy Birthday. But they were standing awfully close, and I noticed the awkwardness in her eyes at the situation she was in. They were probably flirting with her, I couldn’t exactly blame them, Marley was a beautiful girl, but something in me boiled as I looked at the guys. I was really jealous when it came to other boys and Marley, bloody hell when I saw her kiss Matt at the wedding party I think I was going to kill Matt if it weren’t for Marley being there.

I made my way over to the flustered girl, ignoring other girls who tried to fling themselves on me, or try to flirt with me. They really weren’t worth my time. Once I was behind the counter next to Marley I swung my arm over her shoulders, startling her for a split second, until she looked up and smiled at me. That smile could make any guy fall for her. I then turned my attention back at the two guys who were a bit bewildered as to why I was over there, interrupting their time with my girl. “Hello, can I help you two with something? Sorry, but if you’re asking Miss Riddle here about the products, she doesn’t know much about them.” I said looking at the two boys.

“Ah, no we were just asking her when she got off work.” The boy to the right said as I looked at him with a sly smirk.

“Oh well I hope you two weren’t planning anything with my girlfriend.” I said as they both looked at me like I had spurted out wings. Even Marley looked at me questioning as she blushed slightly.

“Fred what are you –“she said but I stopped her as I whispered in her ear.

“Play along unless you want to get stuck on a date with these two goons.” I whispered as she kept her mouth shut and then looked over at the two boys with a smile.

“Oh right! That’s right; Fred is taking me out to dinner tonight, sorry boys, maybe if I wasn’t taken.” She said with a smile, I couldn’t help the fact that my heart fluttered just bit when she used my name, it reminded me of the old times…

“Yes, so off you go.” I said shooing the boys with my hands as they scowled at me one last time before leaving with their purchases I smiled. Job well done Fred. I then felt something hit my shoulder as I stumbled backwards. “Ouch!” I said earning a few glances in my direction as I looked up to see Marley glaring at me with a sly smirk playing her face. “What was that for?” I asked with a frown.

“Hmm I don’t know, maybe for telling everyone in the store it was my birthday!” she exclaimed with a slight frown as she had a red tint on her face. I grinned.

“Oh you know you loved it Miss Riddle.” I exclaimed as Marley rolled her eyes looking at me.

“You’re lucky you saved me from those two boys or else I would be angry.” She said turning back to the cash register as I grinned.