"Faye darling, come inside." She says and walks back into her office without another word. Once I'm inside the first thing I notice is the big stack of books on her desk.  I march to the stack and see that it was all the books I needed for the school year.

"I thought I was getting these?" I asked looking at her with confusion. She had offered to pick them up but I told her no because I didn't need her doing things for me that I could be doing for myself.

"I was in the library checking up on things and thought I might as well get them while I was there." She replied while signing papers and placing them in a finished stack.

"Sure," I say already over the disappointment that I couldn't take a trip to the library without any excuse as to why. "Why did you need to see me? It couldn't wait until after the orientation party?"

"Am I not allowed to see how my daughter's first day is going?" She asks, putting her pen down and actually looking at me since I got here.

"It hasn't been an hour mom." I chime.

"Yes. However, a lot may happen in an hour." She clears her throat and then picks up her pen once again.

"Sure. But mine certainly didn't feel eventful." I muttered. "But really, what did you need to talk about?" I ask again, going back to the topic that I was originally interested in.

"Well, the books were one of the things I wanted to inform you about. The other thing I wanted to tell you is that this year, Alfea may go through some interesting situations. I just wanted to prelude you for what's to come." She says with a carefully certain tone. It was like she was trying to tell me that something bad was going to happen this year. I couldn't put my finger on how I felt about it. It wasn't like her to tell me something this mysterious and uncertain.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I ask in almost a whisper, but still loud enough to hear.

"It means to tread lightly. But even so, you must focus on your studies and practice your magic. That's what is most important. That is what you must worry about. We don't need a replica situation of last year." Mom says before clearing her throat. Meaning she was beginning to feel uncomfortable and wanted to change the topic. Last year was quite the shit show that my mom and I don't like talking about.

"Nothing last year would've happened if you would've just let me-"

"That is quite enough, Faye. The orientation party is starting soon. You should freshen up before then." I scoff under my breath when my mom cuts me off. As I said, she doesn't like talking about last year.

"Yeah, whatever," I shrug it off. "call if you need me." I sigh and swiftly exit the room. Not saying goodbye to her or Callum who probably didn't notice me leave.

× × × × × ×

As I walked into the courtyard I took note of the many people that were present. This party isn't technically a rager party but one just to get everyone friendly with each other. I tried to attend it one year but my mother caught wind and made me practice my magic for 3 hours straight with no stop as punishment.

This year didn't seem any different from the rest. People mingling with new friends or old, drinks and finger foods being picked at, and overall just a genuinely good time. I peeked over the crowd on my tippy toes to look for Terra. It was hard to find her since she wasn't the only blonde in the room. And because I was annoyingly shorter than most.