He covered his eyes as he adjusted to the light, tears stinging the corners. But his victory seemed to be in vain.

Narcissa Malfoy dropped her teacup at the sight of her son.

"D-Draco?" She stuttered, making the attention of the other deatheaters turn toward him.

Draco lifted Lucius' wand and smiled a bloody grin.

"Say hi to Lucius for me,"

"Avada Kedavra!" Draco hissed, hitting the deatheater on Narcissa's right.

The one on her left fired a spell at Draco, but he easily blocked it and killed her quickly, then shifted his gaze to his mother.

"You let him lock me in there,"

Narcissa's eyes were misty, and tears flowed freely down her cheeks, smearing her makeup.

"Draco-"

"How long was I in there, mother? Should I even call you my mother?" Draco spat, walking closer to her, wand still raised, revealing how battered he was.

Narcissa tried to start another sentence, but Draco thrust the wand into her neck, pushing her back.

"How long was I there?" He demanded again, blood dripping from his hands and onto the marble floor.

"Four months," Narcissa answered, swallowing thickly.

"Fuck you," Draco sneered, driving the wand further into her throat.

"Draco, I tried-"

"No, you didn't," 

Draco shook his head, scoffing at his mother and stepping back.

"You are not my mother,"

A sob left Narcissa's lips. She covered her mouth with her hands and fell to her knees, crying into her palms.

"You should be sorry," Draco said quietly, turning on his heel and walking down the hall, knocking over a vase on his way toward the front door.

He pushed open the doors, squinting at the sun and stumbling outside, laughing as he breathed the fresh air.

He knocked his head back, his shoes crunching against the gravel as he walked down the path. A tear fell from his eye, and he let it roll down his cheek, staining the grime.

Once he reached the gate, he pushed it open, stepping outside the grounds and dropping to his knees, burying his face in his hands.

He let himself cry for a moment but knew he'd have to leave quickly. His palms ached against the rocks as he struggled to force himself up, but he had to.

He stood, breathed deeply, and apparated himself.

-

Laila Walker slowly sipped her tea, looking out the window of her small cottage in the woods, where her family used to live before they died.

Lucius Malfoy killed them. The father of the boy she loved so deeply; had killed everyone she loved, first her parents, then her sister, then him. 

She's only alive because of Draco. He sacrificed himself for her. She couldn't die. He'd be so disappointed. That's what kept her going in these dark times. Live for him.

She closed her eyes, a tear trickling down her cheek and into her teacup, but she didn't care.

Suddenly, from the corner of her eyes, she swore she saw a figure crawling from the woods. He was stained with dry blood and wore Lucius Malfoy's coat.