Chapter Eighteen: Noah

Start from the beginning

"I've heard." I kept my tone even. "Who exactly has been saying that?"

All color drained from his face. "I-I really couldn't say," he stammered. "I just heard it around town. Just some harmless bantering, you know. I'm sure no one meant any harm."

"I see. Well, I'm sure you told them the only women I have been writing to are my sister in Georgia and my fiance in Indiana." There had been a couple other women who responded to my advertisement in the beginning, but after my letter to them, I hadn't received any further correspondence.

This time, Collins' face flushed a deep red. I'd expected that, but disappointment still hit hard. "I see," I repeated, even though he said nothing. "I always thought we were friends, Collins. I can see I thought wrong."

"Noah..."

"I think it might be better if you call me Mr. Coleman. Only friends call me Noah," I interrupted. I pulled my list out of my other pocket. "Here's my list. How long will it take you to get it all together?"

At first, he barely glanced at what I had written, but the length of what I had written made him look again. "This is more than you usually get, isn't it? Are you sure you—"

"Hadn't you heard? I thought I told you. My bride-to-be is coming to join me. I have to make sure she has all that she needs when she gets here."

"Oh. Well. Right." He cleared his throat. "It shouldn't take too long for me to get this around."

"Great. In the meantime, I'm going to grab a cup of coffee from Mrs. Royal," I told him. "I'll be back to pay for my supplies."

"Oh, it won't take that long. There's no need for you to bother her for what will only be ten minutes. Why don't you just sit down here at the counter while I get things around for you."

Odd. Was he trying to keep me in the store? Why would he do that?

"Ten minutes will be just long enough for me to have some coffee and whatever sweet Mrs. Royal has made," I told him. "I'll be back."

I strode out before he could protest any further. Whatever he was trying to do, I wasn't going to play along. If there was anyone in town who would tell me the truth, it would be Mrs. Royal.

As I walked towards the cafe, I wondered how long it would take for Collins to tell the entire town about my letter. I knew there was little chance of any legal suit being made for rumors and gossip. But, maybe, no one else would know that, and just the idea that I would go that far would put an end to some of the tittle-tattle.

Feeling pleased with my decision, I stepped through the door and immediately stopped. Annie Burns was sitting at a table with Mrs. Royal. Both turned towards me with a start.

Well. Now I knew why Collins had tried to keep me from coming. It was a wonder every man in town hadn't tried to form a barricade to keep me from entering.

The girl stared at me with wide eyes, looking as white as a ghost. Mrs. Royal sprang up, pushing her chair back. I removed my hat and nodded to them both. "Ladies," I said, since that was the polite thing to do.

"Mr. Coleman," Mrs. Royal responded, coming towards me. "This is a surprise."

"You're the second person to tell me that," I said with a slight smile. "I was hoping I could get a cup of coffee while I waited for Collins to get my supplies together, but I can see you're busy."

I was prepared to retreat. Mrs. Royal glanced over her shoulder. "I have some oatmeal cookies to go along with that coffee," she said, facing me with an oddly determined expression. "Have a seat in that corner."