Chapter 12: In the kingdom of Elenoir

Start from the beginning

I leaned against one of the Elenoir forest's leafy trees, rubbing the multicolored stone in my pocket. It was my only recollection of the months I spent with her, how she spoke to me lovingly despite knowing my history and even gave me a gift. My fist tightened. I had no idea who had hurt her and then captured her, but I felt powerless in the face of that imposing figure with horns and armor as black as night. I despised that sensation.

Revenge grew in my chest, but I repressed it, recalling Sylvia's final words to me through her beast will in my core. I didn't want to lose myself in vengeance, so I took a deep breath and protectively wrapped the rock in my hand.

"I think it's here." Tess's voice jolted me out of my reverie.

I smiled back, but I felt a prick in my core. It was painful, but bearable. However, it had been happening to me since Sylvia gave me her beast will. According to what I'd read about wills, this was unusual. Was it due to the fact that she was a dragon?

Tessia seemed to notice my distressed expression and became concerned. "Are you okay?"

I smiled reassuringly at the silver-haired girl and waved my hand. "Yes, yes, don't be concerned." She looked at me with her emerald eyes, but I kept talking before she could. "So, what exactly are we doing here?"

Tess shrugged after a few more seconds of staring at me. "Just wait a second!" she exclaimed, sprinting over to a tree and placing her hands on it.

Tessia murmured a sort of chant, and when she was done, the Elenoir forest mist seemed to be absorbed by the tree itself as it opened with the crackle of its old bark. We were greeted by a glowing door, similar to the one Sylvia had made to send me here.

Tess laughed and grabbed my hand, pulling me toward the door with an infectious little laugh that made me smile.

I opened my eyes after a dizzying sensation to find myself in a pristine city. We were on a gray road that wound through houses that appeared to be made of jade, reflecting the light coming through the treetops that acted as a false sky, creating strange figures on the ground. It looked like something out of a fairy tale. Elenoir, the elven city, lived up to its reputation.

My admiration was short-lived, as several figures in black appeared out of nowhere in front of us. I braced myself, ready to strike if necessary, but was only confused when they all knelt in front of Tess.

"Welcome Princess Tessia."

Tess gripped my hand tightly when I tried to let go after learning of her estatus. Even as the guards stared at us, especially me, she seemed to refuse to let me go.

"You may stand." Tessia spoke, but her voice was cold and distant, which surprised me. Nothing like how she had behaved on our journey since I had rescued her from the slave traders.

The guards rose gracefully, and I found myself unconsciously wrapping my hand around the stone Sylvia had given me and concealing it. She had stated that people may be drawn to its aura. The last thing I wanted was to lose my grandmother's only memory.

"Princess Tessia." They said, and I was still trying to make the connection between that shy but energetic little girl and the now cold princess next to me. "Your parents..."

Before the guards finished. "Tessia! My baby!" A stunningly beautiful woman dashed toward us.

Her elegant gray ensemble highlighted her light blue eyes and pink lips. Despite her age, nothing dulled her beauty, and the tiara on her head made her appear even more unattainable.

The crowned man following her, holding back tears, was equally appealing. Is that how all elves are? I was surprised, but I pushed Tess's back slightly toward her parents, suppressing my curiosity.