Chapter 17

Professor McGonagall had Malfoy taken to the Hospital Wing by Filch who happened to have been passing by at the moment and was now walking Harry and I throughout the castle.

This is it, I thought, this is it; we're as good as expelled now!

I'm sure the Dursleys would get a good laugh out of that. We hadn't even lasted two weeks before we got kicked out!

Of course, Aunt Petunia wouldn't hesitate to start telling us about how she was certain we'd deserved it and how she couldn't even say she was surprised. She'd probably scold us for being so insufferable that even Hogwarts—a place the Dursleys had deemed as properly horrid—would take us in and actually keep us there. Then, it'd turn into a speech about how luck we were that her and her husband even bothered with us, how she could have us out on the streets in a matter of seconds.

Maybe she might've even been right. . . I mean, if we got kicked out of Hogwarts, surely we'd have deserved it. Perhaps taking us in and letting us stay was an awful lot to ask from anyone. Perhaps we made it much harder than it ever should have been. Perhaps we were the probl-

Professor McGonagall stopped walking, and all of my thoughts froze. Was this the end? We're we here? Would this be where we were served our punishment?

But no, it couldn't be-

She opened the door and poked her head inside of the classroom, "Excuse me, Professor Flitwick, could I borrow Wood for a moment?"

Wood? So would I be getting a beating? Was that all? That seemed like far too easy of a punishment. . .

I soon realized that 'Wood' was not an object I'd be getting beaten with but an actual person. Wood was an older and burly looking boy with a confused look on his face.

"Follow me, you three," Professor McGonagall demanded as she started to March up the corridor.

Wood looked over at me and Harry curiously, though neither one of us dared to respond. I merely gulped. What was going on? Why did Wood need to be here for whatever was about to happen?

"In here," Professor McGonagall then pointed into a classroom that was entirely empty, not counting Peeves who was preoccupied with writing rude words on the blackboard.

"Out, Peeves," she barked, and Peeves cursed, throwing the chalk into a bin before he swooped out of the room. It seem that he, too, was very afraid of Professor McGonagall.

Professor McGonagall slammed the door shut behind him and turned on her feet to face the rest of us, "Potters, this is Oliver Wood. Wood, I've found you two new players."

Wood's once confused expression vanished entirely, being replaced by another emotion—pure joy. "Are you serious, Professor?"

"Absolutely," she replied in a firm tone, "I've never seen anything like it. They're both naturals. Was that your first time on a broomstick?" She was looking between me and Harry.

We both nodded silently. I looked at him questioningly, but he only shrugged. It seemed Harry was just as confused as I was.

She pointed at me, "That's your new Chaser." Then, she pointed at Harry, "And that's your new Seeker."

"He caught that thing in his hand after a fifty-foot dive," Professor McGonagall said, maybe sounding a bit proud as she gestured toward the Remembrall Harry was holding, "Didn't even scratch himself. Charlie Weasley couldn't have done it."

Next she turned to look at me, "Her aim's spot on. The distance she threw it from must've been as long as the dive Mister Potter took, but she hit her classmate straight in the head with a decently weighted rock."