Chapter Three

I can't believe it is almost time. Tomorrow is when the students will arrive, and I will finally begin this journey of teaching and expanding the minds of the youth. Young Witches and Wizards will learn from me, and experience the true beauty that is Hogwarts. I had spent the last couple days preparing my classroom and my lessons. Although I had felt like I completed what I needed to two days ago, I still found an excuse to do more. But now, as I walk through the halls, I wonder if I was finding excuses to do more, or finding excuses to not explore the castle. The Battle of Hogwarts brought so much destruction, I didn't know that I would be ready to relive some of those horrific memories.

As I made my way through the courtyard, I felt a soft grin spread across my face. 'It still smells the same' I said to myself. It is not a smell I could describe, but one I will always cherish. The Longbottom Garden was beautiful, it was nice to see Neville's second home, and his footprint that will be left at Hogwarts for generations to come. So much of Hogwarts seemed to have changed. Did it? Maybe, I am the one who has changed.

I made my way around the whole castle, seeing all the nostalgic memories that came with each landmark. Hagrid's hut was still in-tact in the distance. But I am sure the neglect of it has it looking fairly rundown when closer to it. Hagrid had passed away, just four years ago. We had all gotten together to honor him, all of us except Ron. He was away that week. I was never sure why, he didn't explain much during the last couple of years, and it was to a point where trying to press him for answers only resulted in endless tears and a sleepless night on my end.

I made my way to the great gallery, a place I felt hesitation to step foot in. As I walked the long corridor, to my left and to my right were memorials for those lives lost during the battle. My eyes swelled as I took my time, honoring each and everyone who fought so hard for Harry, myself, and for the sake of the wizarding world. We wouldn't be where we are today without them. A tear fell from my eye as they came across the fiery red hair of Fred Weasley. Each year, the Weasleys would gather to honor his life, and mourn the loss of a son, brother, and friend. I was grateful to have been apart of that with them in each passing year. However, this year, I will be at Hogwarts, and I will attend the annual Battle of Hogwarts honoring ceremony.

The sound of something hitting the cold stone ground startled me and made me turn my back quicker than I thought was possible.

"Hello, is anyone there"? I asked allowed. I heard no response. I continued to make my way back up the corridor the way I came, walking slowly and cautiously, my hand reaching for my wand. I felt my palms begin to shake as my breath shortened. "Hello"? I asked again. I made my way to the where I started at the beginning of the gallery. A metal pitcher was on its side on the ground. I picked it up, looking around to see who might have dropped it.

"Oh Ms. Granger, I am sorry to have startled you. I see you are finally making your way around the castle, dear." The sweet sound of McGonagall's voice relieved me as I looked to her. She was walking alongside Draco. I put my feelings towards him aside, not letting them get in the way of my new headmaster at Hogwarts.

"Hello McGonagall" I said cheerfully.

"Malfoy, please excuse me for a moment I need to speak to Ms. Granger." She said, lightly touching his shoulder.

Draco looked at her kindly and nodded his head. He walked past me, maintaining eye contact for a moment and then breaking it. I felt my body temperature raise as he walked past me.

"Do you have a moment, dear"? McGonagall asked with her hand out to her side, motioning me to walk alongside her.

I needed my head and walked towards her arm, it slightly pressing on my back as we began to walk back down the corridor, heading away from the gallery.