The atmosphere in the room changed at once. Where seconds before it had been cheerful and relaxed, it was now alert, even tense.

Sirius, who had never tolerated Bellatrix, nor her rude, bossy ways, was sitting bolt upright in his chair now, staring at the cousin with the air of a boy readying himself for a fight.

"Who do you think you are? You can't just come in here and spout orders as you please! This is not your house!" growled Sirius menacingly.

"Forget it, Sir. There's no need to---" Andromeda tried to intervene, but she was immediately interrupted by Bellatrix's harsh words.

"How dare you, insolent brat, address me like that?"

In a fit of rage, Sirius leapt to his feet. His expression was rigid, furious. Alya heard her brother's jaw snap from four metres away, such is the strength with which he grits his teeth to hold back insults against his hated cousin.

"It is you who must not allow yourself to yell at me." he merely hissed through clenched teeth.

Bellatrix laughed in his face. Hers was a cold laugh, devoid of mirth. She enjoyed making fun of the boy.

"Or what? You'll go cry to your mummy?" she poked him, imitating a shrill, childish voice.

Unable to restrain himself, Sirius took a step towards her. But he immediately froze. Bellatrix had quickly drawn her wand and was now pointing it at him. Sirius paled, though he tried to appear completely unperturbed.

"Come on! Come closer if you dare" Bellatrix threatened him, with a horrible cruel grin defacing her face.

Intimidated by the scene, both Alya and Regulus held their breath. Narcissa scanned Bellatrix apprehensively, but unable to utter a word. Only Andromeda had the audacity to stand in the way.

"Give it a rest, Bella, and put that wand down! You're going too far."

"It's the little brat who's gone too far. I just want to teach him some manners" retorted Bellatrix dryly. Not for an instant did her fierce eyes leave Sirius's.

"I don't think it's up to you to teach Sirius how to behave, Bella. We're just guests, remember? You haven't forgotten what our father told us before we came here, I suppose."

"Which bit?" hissed Bellatrix.

"The bit about showing respect to all our relatives here. We are a family, he said. We are in the house of his sister. He wants us all to get along well. I don't think he would be happy to hear about this... skirmish of yours with your little 11-year-old cousin."

"Are you threatening to rat me out to our father, Andromeda?"

"No," replied the girl calmly, "I just want to remind you how unpleasant it can be to see him... angry." she sentenced, placing a heavy emphasis on the last word.

Narcissa gasped and a glimmer of uncertainty flashed in Bellatrix's fierce gaze. Alya even had the impression of seeing her falter. Andromeda noticed it too.

"So, Bella, put your wand away," she urged firmly. "And you, Sirius, sit down."

Bellatrix lowered the wand, her eyes narrowed into slits. Sirius sank slowly back into his chair, his face white.

For a few very long seconds, a dense, tension-filled silence fell in the room between Sirius and Bellatrix.

"Let's get out of here, Cissy! Andromeda, we'll wait for you upstairs," Bellatrix finally said, turning on her heel and walking with her younger sister past the doorframe.

In an instant, her haughty figure vanished, and only then did Alya begin to breathe again.

When he was sure that the hated cousin was at arm's length, Sirius grumbled angrily:"That Bellatrix! I hate her! I wonder how you can live with her without going crazy..." he said to Andromeda, with vexations. She shrugged.

"Not for much longer. Soon she will be married to Rodolphus Lestrange, at which point she will move to their manor."

"I'd sure be curious to see what this fool looks like marrying her!" commented Sirius sarcastically. Andromeda laughed.

"Next time, Sir, try not to instigate her. Bella can be very cruel." she added, suddenly serious.

Sirius sighed annoyed, but though reluctantly, he nodded.Andromeda gathered her things, said goodbye to her three little cousins, and headed upstairs as she had been instructed.

"See you at lunch!" the three siblings greeted her in chorus.

After that, Sirius decided to practice chess again, challenging Regulus to play against him. Alya watched them amused. The atmosphere around the three children finally lightened, and the rest of the morning passed quietly.

***

On the occasion of her brother's visit, Walburga instructed Kreacher to prepare a delicious banquet for lunch as a welcome. Nothing to do with or frugal meals the Black family used to eat.

Alya didn't even remember her old house elf being able to cook such delicacies.

Everyone ate and enjoyed the meal with gusto. The dining room was filled with the clinking of cutlery and the cheerful exchange of pleasantries between relatives. Fortunately, no one mentioned the rift between Bellatrix and Sirius. They both ignored each other for the duration of the meal, without so much as a glance. Which was a good thing, Alya agreed to herself. At least they would avoid arguing.

After eating the dessert, everyone was full of food and satisfied. Orion and Cygnus returned to the studio, but not before ordering Kreacher to bring them a bottle of Ogden's Old Firewhisky.

"Nearly time to go for us too, I think. And you're free to go and play, now." said Druella in a prissy voice, winking to the children.

"Not just yet, Druella," said Walburga, pushing away her empty plate and turning to look at Sirius. "You know, Bellatrix told me about your disagreeable behaviour this morning."

A collective frisson had gone around the table. Sirius paled. Bellatrix, on the other hand, smirked.

"Bellatrix is the one who started it! She yelled---" Sirius tried to justify himself, but Walburga didn't let him finish the sentence.

"I don't care! Bellatrix is your cousin and our guest. But you disrespected her. Therefore, it's your duty to apologize. Now." she claimed frostily.

"Never!" shouted Sirius furiously.

Walburga's glacial eyes darted with anger.

"I do not tolerate such a behaviour. I've had enough of your constant tantrum, Sirius! You are grounded!"

"But---" Sirius tried to protest but in vain. His mother had already called Kreacher back.

"Kreacher, take Sirius to his room and make sure he doesn't leave. At least until he has made up his mind to ask Bellatrix for forgiveness."

"Of course, Mistress" the elf bowed reverently, then forced Sirius to follow him. The boy sprang to his feet and, livid in the face from anger and humiliation, left the dining room without a word.

Alya didn't miss the smug expression which had appeared on Bellatrix's face.

"Checkmate!" she whispered triumphantly as Sirius walked past her.