Chapter 2. Temptations To Flinch

Sonic's POV

"We shouldn't just bring him back into our lives, not like this, Rouge."

A cold sheet covered me, and I pulled myself up so I sat up. I looked around the small room. The wallpaper was a dark green, with a shiny hard wood floor. I sat in a small bed that had a white sheet covering it. The nightstand had a small lamp on it.

"Do you think I want him here?"

I quietly listened to the conversation, and laid my head back on the head board. I closed my eyes and sighed.

Rouge and Shadow. They have been gone for what seem like ages. The last thing Shadow ever did that I knew of was stop Space Colony ARK from plummeting into Mobius. (AN: Yes, Mobius, not Earth.)

And Rouge, she just was never seen again. We all thought she went away because of Shadow's demise.

Then the door creaked open. I opened my eyes, and Rouge appeared with a glass of water and some bread.

"Sorry..if I woke you. We just wanted to give you some food, because of the condition you were in last night."

"Thanks." I said simply, not bothering to ask her about the conversation she and Shadow had just moments before. An empty glass of water later, my thirst was quenched. Rouge nodded and then walked out of the room, which I decided against.

Standing up, I hurried and blocked her way out, and she gasped before me. My side still was sore, and I looked down at it. I saw A white bandage, a red was faint in the middle.

Looking back into Rouge's eyes, a gleam of fright shines bright enough to blind me. And that scared me. Why would I want to cause others fright? It's such a horrible thing.

"Rouge. Tell me why you and Shadow left the city." I said calmly, but it's so difficult to make a demand sound sincere. She has bags under her eyes, and I know it's because of me. And I realize that my body wasn't dirty and sticky from the night before, it was clean.

"Your bandage needs changed. Sit down, please." She said, walking over the the nightstand and pulling out something that looked similar to a first aid kit.

"Fine. But tell me, please." My voice cracked halfway through, and Rouge kept focusing on the kit. I cleared my throat, and sat back down on the bed.

"Shadow talked to me before his 'last battle', you could say. He didn't want to go back, and he asked me to go with him. I did. Lift your arm up." I did as she said and she slowly started pulling off the bandage until she ripped it off completely.

"Ahh!" I screamed and winced, but nonetheless held my arm up as she cleaned my wounds.

"It's easier to do this when you aren't awake."

"We would have accepted you and Shadow, you know?" I whisper, the stinging of the disinfectant causing me to suck in my stomach.

"Tell that to Shadow."

"I will, the next time I see him." And Rouge just nods slowly. And when she puts on the bandage, she stands up. She wipes off her gray t shirt and skinny jeans.

"You did something pretty bad to yourself. Your gloves are soaking in bleach. They might not come clean." Rouge puts the kit back in the drawer. I watch her, her expression doesn't show anything. I think she is trying to keep it that way.

"Yeah. Thanks. I have plenty of spares...back at home." I say again, mainly because I am thankful. I would probably be bleeding out on their porch if they didn't allow me to stay in their house.

"Why don't you come downstairs, and talk to Shadow? He doesn't want you here, but I'm sure you can persuade him." She says, walking to the door.

"I think I need some time to myself." She looks at me, almost trying to predict what I will do up here alone.

"Sure." She says and walks out.

Then I'm alone.

At first, the silence doesn't bother me. But, each minute, second, each breath is like the world is crumbling beneath me. My breath quickens, and my eyes stand still.

Calm down, Sonic. All of the sudden you are having this weird pang of panic. What's happening to you?

"Where are my friends?" I say to myself quietly. Shadow is going to kick me out, probably. He never seemed to like me, which I didn't understand at all. And if he kicks me out, I'll have no way of ever finding my home. Unless I run down the road, which is probably miles and miles.

I don't think I am in good enough condition to do that. I look out the window for what seemed like ages, my thoughts bickering to decide what to do. To figure out what I was doing on that road in the middle of the night.

After battling with myself, I decide I should just go look around the upstairs.

The stairwell is fairly lit, meaning that the light downstairs is turned on. I don't want to be a creep, but who carried me up the stairs? Rouge wouldn't do it..so that only leaves Shadow. He doesn't have a chaos emerald, either. They are back in the city.

That means Shadow carried me, small tingles run down my spine just thinking about it.

Shaking my head, I walk into a room, which turns out to be the bathroom and I close the door and continue checking the other rooms.

Why am I looking through their house? I know it's a bad idea. Maybe I could say I was looking for spare gloves if they asked me what I was doing.

So, I go into the next door, which is cracked open a little bit. I push the door open, and peek my head in. It's a room that is a cream white, with a light brown carpet. A small bed in paced in the corner, almost hiding in the shadows. Is this Rouge's room?

I tip my way over to the dresser on the other side of the room, and pause at the dresser. It had a chess but color to it, a nice polish was on it.

I open the first drawer, and do it as slowly as possible so there is no noise. Immediately, I know who this room
belongs to, because of the underwear. It's not panties, like I wished they were.

I'm not being creepy, but I don't want to be in Shadow's room. But, no avail, I am. Because there's boxers in the drawer. I close the drawer and stand still.

A eerie silence seems to wipe over everything. Like the fog from the last. I start to feel and hear my pulse get louder and louder.

Bum, bum, bum. It's continuous pound lulls me onto the edge of dreaming. Then, it starts getting louder. And faster.

Bum, bum, bum.

Why is it doing this?!

"Sonic."

I gasp, my heart going a mile a minute, just like the way I used to run. Pants are coming out of my mouth, and I turn to the voice.

"What?" I say, my voice is jumpy. Shadow stands in the doorway. His back was lit up from the light from the stairwell. All I could clearly see were his red accents that were on his body. He looks around the room, until his eyes snap back at me, and he clears his throat.

"Rouge told me to check up on you. And she didn't want you to know she said that either." And I raise my gaze at him.

"Uh..okay? Why did you tell me then?" I put my hands behind my back.

"Don't know. Looks like you are fine." He says and starts to walk away.

"Are you just going to ignore the fact that I was in your room?" I say as he just leaves the room. I waited as Shadow's movements stop, and he peers over his shoulder.

"I already know why you were in there."

"Oh?"

"Come down stairs in a hour, and we will talk about your arrangements." He walks out of the hallway, and I listen to each and everyone one of his steps as he does it.

-

The book is starting really soon folks. I just decided to go ahead and post chapter two, so yeah.
-TheUltimatePower