Chapter 92 • Time Crunch

Start from the beginning

"Harry, darling, what's the matter? Why are you shouting?" the familiar sound of my mum's voice instantly calms me and I turn around towards the door. "What's all the commotion?"

"Mum? I didn't know you were coming."

"I just came to check of you both and I'm glad I did," she says, soothing my shoulder and embracing me in a hug. It's quite a relief knowing that she's here with me now. "What's going on with JJ?"

I lean back from our hug, reminding myself to be strong, "Uhm, she's, she's going into labour."

"Oh my. Here, let's stand over here. There are more nurses coming in."

"W-what are they doing?"

"Well, I don't know exactly, but I do know they're doing everything they can to help JJ and the babies."

I nod in agreement, swallowing harshly, "Promise me that JJ and the twins are going to be okay, Mum."

"Oh, Harry, I can't promise that, but I can promise all three of their guardian angels are with them. We'll get through this together."

Even though that's not the answer I wanted, I have to hold onto whatever hope I have at the moment.

"Sorry it took me so long. What are her levels?" a male voice says and a rush of cologne wafts past me.

"Is that Dr. Tate?" I quietly ask Mum.

"I believe so. The room is getting quite full. Maybe we should wait in the hallway."

"No, I'm not leaving her!"

"Mr. Styles?"

It takes me a second to recognize his voice and I exhale a calming breath, "Yes, Doctor? Can you please tell me what's going on?"

"I'm not going to mince words here, Mr. Styles. It's imperative we get those babies out now. Baby B won't be able to withstand much more stress and the hormones aren't helping to keep the contractions at bay. I think an emergency Cesarean section is our best option at the moment. The babies will have to go into the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, but they'll have a better chance than they have right now. Are you okay with this?"

"Y-yeah, I guess I have to be. Did you tell JJ?"

"Not yet."

"Let me. It's all I can do."

"Of course, but we need to move fast."

I nod in his direction, exhaling a determined breath, "Mum, please take me over to her."

"Of course," she says, guiding my hand to her elbow and we start walking. She stops me and guides my hand to what I recognize as JJ's hand.

"JJ, my love, the doctor said it's best for the twins to be born tonight. He's going to do a Cesarean section. But I'll be by your side holding your hand the entire time."

"What? No."

She begins to sob, which confuses me, "What's wrong, love?"

"That means I won't-, I won't give birth to them," she says in between sobs and I do my best to comfort her.

"Well, love, you said you were nervous about giving birth so this is a blessing in disguise, yeah?"

"I'm scared."

"Don't be. I'm with you and your guardian angel is with you. You'll be alright and our babies will be alright."

"I'm sorry."

"No, there's nothing to apologize for. I love you, JJ. Everything's gonna be fine."

Her cold fingers grip my hand a little tighter as if she doesn't want to let go.