Chapter 5: Shock

Y/n was never taught this.

How to overcome the shock.

No one could have ever taught him, for that matter.

Levi tried. But he knew he couldn't help, it was almost a rite of passage.

Among all the lessons he had given Y/n, a single phrase broke through his memories.

As pieces of the gates soared through the mockingly clear blue sky, he remembered what Levi had said:

"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure you're proud of what you see."

His mind became clearer, much unlike those around him, looking to the walls as if paralyzed. The young man noticed this and yelled at Ymir to bring her out of her stupor.

It seemed to work, as she looked at him wide eyed for a beat before coming back to her senses. She scanned the area before elaborating a course of action.

Ymir: Y/n, let's go to HQ. We'll regroup with the higher-ups there.

The pair took off in a sprint before hearing the supervisor scream to the top of his lungs.

Supervisor: ALL TROOPS! TO THE HEADQUARTERS, NOW! LEAVE WAY FOR THE EVACUATION AND HELP NO ONE!

The soldiers left behind followed the two as they all headed to the same place. As Y/n was running, he saw the Colossal swinging his arm and effectively destroying every cannon.

Ymir: That fucker...

The Colossal Titan swung his arm again, only to be engulfed in a cloud steam and disappear. Y/n didn't comprehend what happened, but he certainly knew he didn't have to understand it, not yet.

Y/n: God...

* * *

After a marathon of dodging chaos and fighting his own desire to stop and help, they arrived at the building they headed for. After a quick look, he spotted Thurner.

As he walked to talk to him however, Krista ran towards him and tackled him into an embrace that threw him to the floor. He suddenly felt much more relieved, even if he didn't notice it.

The blonde girl shared his relief, calmer after checking they were all alright.

Y/n smiled, but he felt uneasy, worried for her. Ymir read him easily, their time together made them understand each other.