Bucky Barnes- Ex-Assassins (c)

When Steve had finally been reunited with Bucky, he saw how much his friend struggled with the past he was forced through and saw it as a helpful tool, to introduce him to you. You had been trained as a black widow from your early childhood and up until a couple of years ago, you were a human weapon, having been tasked with doing unspeakable things. You had been forbidden from your freewill, left to do as you were told, only leaving you with the guilt once the control was broken. Over the last few years, you had done your best to come to terms with having been a cold-blooded killer, and now having to make good with the life you now had to try and put right all the terrible things you had done.

It wasn't easy and it wasn't perfect but if anyone was going to know what Bucky had been through, then it would be you. You got along well, both knowing the darkness that stayed in your minds. You were able to talk to each other in ways you couldn't with others and maybe that was why you felt a close relationship grow. It was undeniable that you had become closer the more time you had spent together, and you decided it was the perfect time to admit how you felt.

"I know we hang out and discuss our trauma, but maybe we could go for a drink and try to be normal?" You offered. "As normal as two ex-assassins can be."

"Like a date?" He questioned, his face draining.

"Yeah, a date."

It seemed as though you had said the worst thing in the world, his expression depicting horror.

"We can't go on a date," he stated forcefully.

"I'm sorry, did I get something wrong?" You asked, your heart hurting. "Do you not like me like that?"

Bucky let out a sigh, avoided eye contact.

"It's not that... I just can't... I can't be with you. I don't want to put you in danger," he whispered, a pained tone to his voice.

"Don't pull that crap with me Bucky," you frowned. "If you were to find anyone that could hold their own, then you've found me. With anyone else we could both be a danger, but we are both in the same boat, and we aren't going to easily find another person to be in that too."

"I don't want you to look at me the way that everyone else ends up looking at me. You see me for me and if we were together... you might see the monster I am."

A weak smile curled onto your lips. You couldn't count the number of times you had felt the exact same things.

"That's why we will be perfect together," you said with a soft laugh. "We are both monsters trying to be human again, but are you willing to take that adventure with me?"

Bucky took a moment, weighing up his options. He did care about you dearly but the fear of causing you harm did fog his mind. His lips twitched up into the meekest of smiles as he held out his hand for you to take, giving you his answer.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.