Chapter 4

"Wake up, darling."

The vampire she'd tied to a chair stirred, groaning and wincing as he felt the vervain ropes burning into his skin.

"Hello there," said Elaine, leaning over him. "Aren't you cute."

"Who the fuck are you?" he spat. "Why am I here?"

Elaine started to pace in front of him. "My identity isn't something you need to know. You're here because I need information about Rebekah Mikaelson, among other things."

He glared at her. "I'm not telling you shit."

"You will if you want to live."

He appeared panicked. "I don't know much. I really don't."

"I think you know more than you believe, darling. Go on. Tell me everything that you know about Rebekah and the Mikaelsons."

"I'm new to this," he said, swallowing hard. "I don't know anything other than what Marcel tells me. Rebekah hasn't been here in awhile, and I don't think she's coming back, he said we didn't have to worry about the Originals hurting us anymore."

"And why is that?"

"He told us there was a problem before. Three Originals walking around town, a whole lot of his crew died."

"Didn't Marcel have his crew— all vampires less than two-hundred-years-old— try and take down Klaus and Elijah? Of course they were killed. Not to mention there was that whole fiasco with the wolves, too." She leaned over him again, tapping her fingers on the armrests of the chair. "Tell me, how is that situation nowadays? The wolves and the vampires?"

"Today, the wolves came trying to boot us out of Algiers," said the man. "We're not going to let them do that. The witches are trying to use young werewolf recruits as soldiers. We're gonna help rescue them. A few of us are keeping watch and stuff. I'm supposed to be there."

"You're not going to make it back in time for that, sweetheart. Sorry. Now, tell me about the witches. What about the woman who's leading them?"

"I don't know, first it was this girl named Cassie, now it's this lady named Lenore. And she's always with these two guys, Vincent and Kaleb."

"Kaleb?" said Elaine. "Now that's a new one. I think I ought to get a glimpse of them myself."

She seized the man's head, diving into his mind. She scanned his memories, finding that what he'd told her was the truth. He wasn't kidding when he said he didn't know much. The most useful thing was a memory of this Kaleb kid, walking with Vincent and the girl Esther had been in, previously.

"Can you let me go now?" the vampire whined. "I just want to go back. I won't say anything, I swear."

"Unfortunately, darling, you're not going back."

She dragged his unconscious body to the cemetery, where she plucked up one of the wolves. She forced the wolf to bite the man several times, then ripped the wolf's heart out, placing it in the hand of the vampire. She laid him down while he shivered, inserting a small piece of wood into his chest, letting the opening close around it. He went very still, and began to desiccate soon after.

Now, she had a new target in mind. Kaleb. He was obviously a witch, too, but he was also a child. It might be easier for her to get some information out of him. Bribe him with a bit of money and she wouldn't have to resort to compulsion at all.

Finding where he lived was easy. She compelled a local to go into the apartment with a camera and do a sweep of it. Anything she found interesting, she had them bring to her.