Chapter 22

Oh

Is what Law said when I told him we were being tailed. 

Seconds later, I realized that the ship which had been tailing us was sliced right in half.

They were very precise and careful in keeping off our radar, which is why nobody noticed. 

But the one time they happened to show on the radar was in those few seconds I took to scan the monitors.

Tough luck.

It's been seven days since we met with Keita; the plan is official. Tonight is the night the operation begins.

The time needed for this operation: 2 hours.

If we aren't out by then, it'll be a nightmare. 

In 5 hours' time, we'll all be in our positions.

The ship is oddly quiet today, I walk through the darkness of the hall, heading towards the dining hall for a final briefing of the plan and perhaps a meal for the journey.

Thanks to Law and his love for meticulous planning, the weight I once had on my shoulders and the stress digging in my head is much lesser and easier to handle. 

Even Penguin, Shachi and Bepo's usual quarrels and nonsense seem to be having a positive effect on me.

I reach the dining hall, and oddly enough, there is no sound, no light, no nothing apart from the lingering of the smell of Utah's cooking. I glance around, the ship's blue glow illuminating the walls and objects lying strewn across the floor.

Is everyone taking a quick nap?

I slowly open the door, a welcoming warmth touching my skin. I walk in, looking for the light switch, and failing miserably as I've never needed to turn on the light since it's always lit. 

I can sense other people, a muffled bundle of excitement and mischief is definitely evident in the room.

"Hello? Guys?" 

Suddenly, I get pushed into a tall figure, which I recognise as Law, and then I feel my feet get swooped out from underneath, a floating sensation surrounding me.

I yelp but my voice is overthrown by cheers and laughter, sounds of explosions and of music.

The lights flicker on and the room erupts into colours, and instantaneously, firecrackers, streamers, balloons,  flowers, (and food?) are thrown simultaneously through the air.

"Happy birthday y/n!" I glance down, still floating in the air, at the faces of each member of my crew members. My crew

A smile slowly creeps onto my face, I can feel my eyes sparkling, my heart widening. 

These guys never fail to surprise me, and they never fail to cheer me up regardless of how down or worried I might be. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Utah wheeling out a cake. 

A cake with thick blankets of icing, puffy clouds of whipped cream, sprinkles like little diamonds and my name, standing on top like the queen of the castle. 

I sure feel like a queen.

Law sets me down right in front of the cake, and they all start to sing.

Surprisingly, they all sing it in tune, it's no lie when they say pirates can sing, they sound amazing. 

I can feel tears welling up in my eyes, I can't believe that they would put in all the extra effort into organising this while also juggling all the preparations for the plan.