chapter 18

POV: 3rd person
"Hello, what can I help you with?" A lady greeted the two from behind the desk. Sonic was still processing what Knuckles had said as the echidna guided him to the desk.

"We would like to pick out an eye-seeing chao." Knuckles handed her the document. "Do you need to see his eyes?" He asked, not sure if the lady wanted to check or not.

Sonic got tense at hearing that and took ahold of his sunglasses to keep them on.

The lady looked over the paper. "No, it's fine." She wouldn't push the hero who was clearly uncomfortable with it. "You can follow me." She motioned them to follow and went to the back.

They passed a set of doors and Sonic was overtaken by the amount of noise. The little critters were noisy.

"The chao are off the clock now and are chatty. When working they will be silent unless it's to warn." The lady explained.

Knuckles let go of Sonic's hand to pet some of the chao as they gathered around him. As a guardian of chaos energy, he's close with chao. "I would like to see your best trained chao." Knuckles said. He wanted the best for Sonic.

"Of course." The lady walked through the room and Knuckles followed, forgetting to take Sonic's hand.

POV: Sonic
"Knuckles?" My ears flickered. There was a lack of Knuckles' voice. I held my hand out, wanting it to be held again. Yet no hand took mine. "Knuckles?" I said louder and felt around. I couldn't find him.

I started to panic. It was noisy and I couldn't find a wall. I felt lost in the room and couldn't get ahold of Knuckles.

"Chao!" There was a loud call and felt two dots take hold of my hand. It pulled gently me in a direction. I let it lead me. Soon I heard two voices talking.

"Knuckles-" I reached out and was able to find his arm. I hugged it. "You left me."

"..I'm so sorry!" It seemed he hadn't realized. I flinched as I felt a hand on my quills, then relaxed at his touch.

"I have made my choice." I held out my hand and two dots took ahold of it again. I hugged the chao. "I want this one."

"But there is a better trained one."

"I don't care. Out of all the chao in this loud room, this one was the one who led me. I want this one."

"It's your choice." Knuckles said. "Can we have this one?" He asked the lady.

"That's possible. We can go to the office to fill out some paperwork and then you can take him home."

Knuckles helped with the paperwork since I couldn't read or write on it. I did place my signature best I could.

"How do you want to name him?" The lady asked me. "The name he has now is Snow."

"What does he look like?"

"He's white that faded into yellow with light blue wings and dot."

"Sigt." I said as I stroked the chao. "I want to name him Sigt."

"Sight?"

"Sigt. S-i-g-t." I spelled it out for them.

I heard her write it down before handing the papers over. "He's yours now."

POV: 3rd person
Sonic got to take Sigt home. Knuckles walked behind them as Sigt led Sonic. The blue hedgehog seemed so much more relaxed. He already trusted the chao fully.

In the days that followed, Knuckles saw a big change in Sonic. He seemed happier and more confident. He was going on more walks, yet he still rather stayed away from any village or city.

"Let's go on a walk!" Sonic hugged Knuckles' arm before going to get his shoes. He no longer wore the sunglasses.

Knuckles smiled as he watched Sonic and Sight who was excitedly flying around his owner.

"Come on slowpoke!" Sonic called out and opened the front door, already leaving with Sight. Knuckles followed.

The echidna was glad to have the former characteristics of the blind hero back.

"How about we invite the others over? I feel like it's time I tell them about me being blind." Sonic took his lover's hand. "And then we can also tell them about us." He smiled brightly.

"Are you ready for that?"

"More than ready!"

END