Running for Our Lives

Start from the beginning

"STANLEY!" I screamed, trying my best to run faster, only to be met with ground once again.

This time, however, I brought Y/N down with me.

She let out a shriek as she hit the ground, gritting her teeth as she wrapped her free arm around her body.

"Shit!" I exclaimed, immediately forcing myself onto my knees and letting go of her hand, which she now used to steady herself with the ground. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she hissed, pressing her forehead to the ground as she let out another cry, "just go get Stanley!"

I put my hand on her shoulder and grabbed her hand with my other gingerly.

"I'm not leaving you," I said as sternly as an out of breath kid could. "I'll never, ever leave you."

She looked up at me, her e/c eyes glistening in the dim street light and the faint glow of the moon the peeked from behind the clouds. Even in such a stressful moment, her eyes were always able to stir up the butterflies in my stomach, which only grew worse when she gave me a small smile. In return I smiled back, unable to break my gaze from hers.

That was until I remembered my brother, looking to the road and seeing that he was a small speck in the distance.  I cursed under my breath.

"C'mon, we need to catch up," I helped her up, pushing up my glasses with my shoulder.  "He's gotten way too far ahead."

"Yeah," she sighed, grabbing my hand and nodding.  "Let's go."

And off we went running again, going as fast as our sore legs and lungs would allow.  Not even a minute later it began to rain, at first slowly, and then with a wrath even God would fear.  I couldn't see five feet ahead of me (due to the rain and my glasses that kept fogging up), clothes plastered to my skin, at least ten pounds heavier than I was a few minutes before.

"STANLEY!" Y/N suddenly yelled, letting go of my hand and sprinting ahead.

I stopped and took a second to clear my glasses so I could see, realizing why Y/N ran ahead.  Stan was on his knees, and Y/ N was right beside him, wrapping her arm around him and trying to pull him to his feet.

Immediately, I ran to the other side, helping her lift him enough so that we could help him walk.

"Where are we going?" I asked as we hobbled down the street, Stanley's head bobbing from side to side.

Y/N said something, but because of the rain, all I could hear was a light mutter.

"WHAT?" I screamed louder.

"ALLEYWAY!" she shouted, pointing to the one closest to us.

It was barely touched by the rain due to two large parallel awnings, making it a perfect place to wait out the storm.

We made our way to the dry space, using the last bit of strength we had to force our way through the forceful storm while helping a dazed Stanley, who barely made an effort to carry his own weight.

Once we were covered by the cloth overhanging, we collapsed on the ground. I placed my cheek on cool ground, letting out a sigh of relief. The only upside of the rain was that it made the feeling of burning alive less harsh.

All that was to be heard was our labored breathing as we embraced the pavement. Coming down from our adrenaline highs, a few grunts and hisses and under breath curses joined the loud huffs and puffs. Other than that however, there was a collective silence.

It was at this point that I noticed a persistent throbbing at sole of my left foot. Well, I had been sprinting barefoot for at least ten blocks, so both of my feet were going to be in pain. But this pain was more violent.