[26] reflections and lectures

5x05; 5x07Now; Heads Up

5x05; 5x07
Now; Heads Up

OPEN THE GATE NOW!

That's what her dad had hollered almost an hour ago when they were reaching Alexandria. Back in the RV, the only thing they could do was get out and run for their lives. They couldn't possibly lead the herd away without dying, so they went back home being followed by hundreds of walkers.

They ran and ran for minutes and minutes, Liz assumed that at least forty, as fast as they could. They had to push or dodge some of the walkers for at some point they got close to them. Her dad started to yell for someone to open the gate as soon as they saw it.

It had been Michonne the one to open them and the first one of some to stare at the sight shocked, bewildered and scared.

"You can hear it," Rick moved through the group of dispersed people glancing at the walls with concern. Some had their eyes on its foundations, fearful that they might crumble and end the protection that had kept them isolated from the world for the entirety of the apocalypse. "Some of you saw it," he added. "They got back here, half of them. Still enough to surround us twenty deep," he remarked.

"Look, I know you're scared," he continued. "You haven't seen anything like this. You haven't been through anything like this. But we're safe for now. The panel the truck hit seems intact. We reinforced it just in case. Either way, the wall's gonna hold together. Can you?" he asked them.

His stance was slightly tense but determined. Assurance flowed through him, whether it was authentic or not, the spectators could not know.

"The others, they're gonna be back," he told them surely.

"They're gonna be back," Rosita repeated with splashes of red on her face, and he nodded at her subtly.

"Daryl, Abraham, Sasha, they have vehicles. They're gonna lead 'em away, just like the others." He crossed eyes with Liz when he said that. As well as she was playing off the worry she had, he knew how she was feeling about the situation. "And Glenn and Nicholas are gonna walk back through the front gate after." At this, Maggie stepped forward with a nod, concerned but trying to convince herself and the others that they were alright.

Everyone but them had made it back to Alexandria. Liz was having trouble deciding if it was better or worse than they were not inside the walls. It was similar to all those people that hadn't gone out in the first place.

Turns out, the horn was the product of an attack on the community. Now, she and her dad had already suspected that after finding that apple sauce jar in the attacker's clothes, but this confirmed it. Many people died, but thankfully no one that Liz cared about.

The real shock once she returned came when Carl told her about Enid and Nora. It was after she had asked about them to Carl regarding the aftermath of the attack when he told her somewhat shyly that they had left Alexandria. Well, his words had included the words 'I think'.