Part 3

Xie Lian quickly walked out, as far away as possible, leaving the building and turning left. To his dismay, after walking for not even 5 minutes, he met San Lang!

"XL-didi, nice to see you again!", he exclaimed, pleased as if he hadn't seen Xie Lian in years.

"Are you following me?", Xie Lian blurted out.

"Humm, it's like you like me right behind you", he said with that teasing smile. He tilted his head to the side, "We met here coming from opposite directions right? So, no I'm not following you..."

"Oh", Xie Lian replied, still wondering what he meant, liking him right behind.

"Maybe XL-didi isn't familiar with the campus, he's a freshman after all", he added; Xie Lian wasn't dumb, he realised San Lang was saying this only to give him an easy way out of his embarrassment.

Then he said, "Tell me where you need to go then I'll show you the way..."

Xie Lian blushed deeply again: he was caught just being silly and running away, only because he couldn't deal with this guy - he wasn't sure if he was flirting, or if it was an impression, and in any case, there was something up with him himself, to be this disturbed.

"You don't really feel like going to your classes today do you?", San Lang volunteered; another easy way out. He continued, "Then, why don't we go, you and I, somewhere –"

"Sorry?"

"To grab a bite? Are you hungry?", he smiled innocently, the smile widening at Xie Lian's guilty face.

"Ah hum, a bit", he answered cautiously; in fact he was starving.

"My treat, 'cause you forgot your card", he replied; he seemed to have a way of cornering Xie Lian not to say no! Xie Lian warily agreed, and San Lang nodded, pleased, "Let's go".

They walked together to the uni's parking, where San Lang left his motorbike.

"You're a rider, aren't you?", he asked, and winked! No doubt now this guy was super dirty. Xie Lian hesitated; yes maybe he could say he was actually afraid of bikes, could we go somewhere nearby, or even that Chance Encounter canteen? Riding a bike with San Lang, that unwanted closeness seemed... risky. But Xie Lian was still a boy, he wouldn't say he was afraid of something!

"Yes I'm alright, how many CCs?", he asked coolly. San Lang gave him a spare helmet he had for some reason; Xie Lian wore a white helmet, and San Lang a red one.

"800. XL-didi, you can hold me if you like, I don't mind", he teased, "some people don't feel safe with the grab rails alone..."

Xie Lian decided to ignore him this time and just made an unreadable face, but as soon as he started the bike, San Lang accelerated fast, and Xie Lian in his panic, held him around the torso – Xie Lian saw it was on purpose, with San Lang looking at him from the rear mirror, wanting to laugh.

"San Lang-gege... eyes on the road please", Xie Lian said. San Lang pffted a laugh.

They went to a Mexican place, and sat together on a booth. Xie Lian had that dejà vu again, feeling he had been there, and with San Lang. He was starting to believe in past lives, or multiverses, or whatever: how could he explain it otherwise... and these "memories" with San Lang... did it mean on a past life/another universe they were friends, or..?

They ordered burritos, and mojitos – San Lang ordered Xie Lian's mojito virgin too loud in his opinion. And he knew San Lang would make the most innocent face if he pointed that out.

"So", San Lang said, after a good sip of his drink, "What's troubling you?"

Xie Lian wasn't surprised he asked; maybe him being all silly and embarrassed and misunderstanding things was because he was disturbed. If he was honest to himself, even though he did feel embarrassed with San Lang's shameless flirting, at the same time he felt at ease... that's right: he felt as if he knew San Lang!

Xie Lian kept looking down at his drink. "You can tell San Lang-gege", San Lang added softly.

"Hum, well, this is what happened...", Xie Lian then told him all about his meeting with Feng Xin and Mu Qing earlier, the exchanged looks, the way they were acting weird... Feng Xin saying they weren't his crew anymore. San Lang listened to him resting his chin on his hand, either serious, either smiling softly and encouraging.

Xie Lian proceeded to say how hurt he was that his friends, friends since forever, dumped him just like that. It was alright if they weren't into hip hop as much as him, and yes maybe he dragged them to be his crew, just because they spent almost all the time together, but they could have told him how they feel... now he went into a proper teen meltdown!

"I see, that's why XL-didi's cute face has a frown", San Lang said, smiling; for some reason, Xie Lian didn't think he was being patronised, not got pissed off. "You should just take some time off, let the dust settle down... then you can have a chat and clear the air", he said, in a surprisingly mature and grown-up tone.

"Well that's what I did, sort of... I told them fine, and stormed off... then met you. I put my phone in flight mode too so they can't call me. Serves them right if they're worried!", Xie Lian said, with a dark face. Then he blushed, "Shit I'm being such a brat".

"I think it's cute", San Lang replied.

"Sang Lang. Stop teasing me like that", Xie Lian said, pursing his lips.

"Alright. So", he said, smiling, "do you wanna go somewhere else just to make your friends worry some more? I know a bar not far from here, with good music".

Xie Lian perked up at the mention of good music, but said, "I can't, they'll ask my id!". He was truly disappointed. San Lang just remained his cool self, and said, getting up,

"Leave it with me. And you're 17, you can even drink accompanied of a responsible adult. And I, my friend", he said, putting a hand on Xie Lian's shoulder and squeezing it lightly, "am your responsible adult", he concluded, with a smug smile.

Sorry (not sorry) for the "you can hold me tight" joke again... I can't resist it! 😜

Thanks for reading! If you liked it please vote, comment, follow me!