Part 1

CW: this is a fictional amnesia. If somebody you know bumps their head, watch out for signals of concussion (headache, dizziness, vomiting) and if in doubt, take them to the A&E!

Xie Lian got up at the train station platform, and started running – he was already late! It was a bad idea coming to The Heavens straight from XianLe, he didn't count on reduced services due to a train strike... 'Stupid train strike!', he thought, annoyed.

The train station guys kept calling him for some reason, but he didn't have time now, so he pretended it wasn't with him. Just as he was stepping out, they shouted something.

As soon as he arrived at uni, he called Mu Qing. Wait, why did he have his dad's phone on him, did he take it by mistake? Fortunately his dad also had Mu Qing's number!

"Hey, where are you guys?"

"At the student union bar", Mu Qing replied, and Xie Lian run straight there.

To his shock, Feng Xin and Mu Qing were sitting down, having beer, all nonchalant and relaxed.

Xie Lian just had to say something, "You're drinking... how? They're very strict here, you guys wanna be kicked out and banned or something?"

"Oh? What the fuck you're talking about?", Feng Xin replied, frowning.

"We're still 17 remember ", Xie Lian pointed out. Feng Xin and Mu Qing looked at each other.

"Did you bump your head or something?"

"Anyway", Xie Lian said, too excited to even care about his classes, to which he was already more than late, "I had this idea for a tune and a video. Very conceptual", he added with a smug smile. Feng Xin and Mu Qing, instead of asking right away, jumping in the brainstorming, just looked at each other again. With concerned faces.

"Xie Lian, are you serious?", Mu Qing asked slowly.

"Of course! Why not, conceptual is cool!", he said with a big smile.

"Hum, what, hum, Hua Cheng says about it?", Mu Qing asked.

"Who's Hua Cheng?", Xie Lian replied, to even more concerned looks; "Anyway. You can tell me right up if it's shit, you're my crew!"

Feng Xin couldn't take it anymore. "Only, we're not!"

"What? What are you saying, since when?!", Xie Lian gasped.

"Xie Lian..." Mu Qing started, but Xie Lian didn't want to hear anymore, and got up, pissed off.

"You know what? Fine", Xie Lian said, "Anyway I better go to my classes. Bye", and he left.

"Xie Lian! Oi! You fucking bumped your head, didn't you?", he heard Feng Xin shouting, but he kept walking, not turning back; serves them right if they were feeling guilty, well they should.

They were his trusted crew, the first ones he went to, showing his music experiments and ideas, and they never claimed any musical talent; they helped him with feedback as listeners, as mates who wouldn't want him to be embarrassed, posting something bad on his channel. Grumpy Mu Qing and dumb Feng Xin, that's the personas they assumed for his quality control.

Pissed off and unsure of where to go – he was new at The Heavens after all – he ended up at this Chance Encounter canteen; he poured himself some water from a plastic jug available for its customers, and sat down to resume his ruminating.

How could they do that to him, say right at his face they're not his crew anymore? Since when did they decide that, and why didn't they give him a hint, they could have talked about it... The truth was that Xie Lian was feeling hurt; it was like a breakup. He was feeling backstabbed too, but he didn't want to go into that; not having Feng Xin and Mu Qing around him was bad enough.

In spite of all his internal dialogue, Xie Lian registered some conflict at the canteen counter, and started to pay attention. Apparently, some guy was chatting up the counter girl, but like, sticking to her no matter what, and she was smiling uncomfortably – a customer was still a customer. Situations like these annoyed Xie Lian a lot, so he went up,

"Hum, I know", he looked at the girl's badge, "Xiao Ying in cute, but can't you see she's not interested?", he smiled friendly, as if giving the guy the benefit of doubt: maybe he's not good at reading other people. "And she's working", he added, "C'mon man".

"What's it to you? Mind your business", he replied angrily. No doubt now, he was a jerk.

"Well a girl being harassed right in front of me is pretty much my business. I can't stand it. So if you don't mind, just leave her alone."

He didn't need to say "Or I'll make you" or other such threats; his firm tone was enough. The guy gave him a dirty look and walked away. The girl smiled brightly, "Thanks a lot!"

"Xiao Ying, I'll stay for a bit in case that dumbass comes back", Xie Lian smiled, and returned to his table. As soon as he sat down, he had a glimpse of a guy by the entrance; not the same guy, but a tall, good-looking guy wearing a red jacket. That's all he could register at a blink of an eye.

He looked again, and there was no one. I'm seeing things, he thought, not able to help but look a second time. After establishing there's never been anyone by the entrance, he relaxed and had a long sip of water with his eyes closed. When he opened his eyes again, there was someone sitting in front of him. It was the guy with the red jacket!

Thanks for reading! If you liked it please vote, comment, follow me! 😃