should've been me.

Start from the beginning

"Okay! Bye-"

"Oh, Y/n, one more thing," he interrupts you, "Try checking in on your fiancé while you're here, especially before a night out on the town."

You stayed silent, wondering how he found out about your whereabouts. It made you irritated, the way he still used the same tactics from when you were last here. Nine years ago, when you were just a teenager.

"Of course. Bye, dad," you state, not bothering to even rebuttal his unnecessary comment. Not even one week in, and his old habits have begun once again.

out of sight, out of mind, you thought.

His words kept creeping up in your mind as you put on your shoes, about to head out of your apartment.

"Try checking in on your fiancé while you're here..."

Hm. So much for out of mind.

As you walked through the busy streets of Rose district, you decide to dial your fiancé's number, the phone ringing a few times. You bit your lip nervously, your cherry-colored nails tapping the back of your phone in anticipation of him hopefully answering.

"...Hello?"

Your eyes widen as you hear the familiarity of his deep voice, stunned he actually picked up, "Reiner, Hi. It's Y/n."

"I know, I have your number, dear."

dear?

Your heart beats a bit faster as you heard him call you that; he hasn't called you any names in a while. Maybe he has actually started to realize what he was missing out on.

You chuckled, "Right, well um, how are you? Is everything okay back home? How's work?"

A dreadful silence followed along with some muffled voices in the background, Reiner speaking once again, "Sorry, I'm at work, say that again?"

You felt yourself become down again, the exciting feeling of Reiner acknowledging you fading away, "How are you, dear?"

"I'm good, everything's normal-"

"Dr. Braun, Dr. Hoover is requesting your assistance in OR 5."

"Ah, I've got to go, Y/n."

You frown, Levi's tea shop finally in sight, "W-wait! When can we call again? I've missed-"

"I'm not sure. I'm busy," you hear him sigh once again, "look, I really need to go."

You let out a deep sigh as you stop in front of the stained glass doors of the cafe, "Right. Well, bye, I love you."

"You too, Take care."

The call ends, leaving you with no certainty nor any warm feeling in your body, like one, should feel when speaking to the person they were going to marry. You painfully shrugged it off, not letting it put a damper on your plans with Mikasa and the girls.

You walk into the shop, heading straight towards the patio where you saw Mikasa and the others through the window. You walked outside, your presence catching the eyes of Hitch, who immediately waves at you.

"You made it!" she says, her voice slightly raspy but very enthusiastic. Mikasa, Annie, and Sasha turn as well, them all smiling as you sit down.

"Sorry I'm late, I hope I didn't miss too much," you grin as you adjusted yourself. Mikasa shakes her head, "No, we were just about to get started. I ordered you your usual, hope it's still a favorite."

"Of course it is! Anything from Levi's," you exclaim, "Can't believe you remember a small detail like that, Mika."

"I mean, you were here every single day," Sasha chimes in, "I remember one time Jean even planned your surprise birthday party here. Took him all night because he wanted it perfect, he even passed out in math class."