star: sinners play as saints

Comincia dall'inizio

4:35am
Jeonghan: Take the day off.

"Who's messaging you at this time in the morning?" Diana tried to look over her shoulder at the screen, but Satine turned away.

"Just Jeonghan, he's telling me to take the day off, but I don't think I can. If I stop, I'm scared the pain and grief is going to hit me all at once."

4:37am
Satine: I've got too much work to do. I can't relax knowing I'm behind.

She took a deep breath in before sending her next message.

4:37am
Satine: and I need to see you.

4:40am
Jeonghan: I'll be here waiting, Coquette. You need to take the day off.

Satine dropped her phone onto her lap and unintentionally smiled into her palm. Just the thought of him was able to lift her mood when she was in the darkest of places.

"God, you're way too obvious, Star," Diana scoffed.

And so are you. Satine internally seethed.

"It's clear you like each other a lot, so just break up with Mingyu already."

Instead of turning and beating the crap out of her friend, Satine composed herself and sent her a glare.

"For the hundredth time, you don't break up with someone you're not dating. And anyway, I don't see Jeonghan in that way, he's just a really good friend."

It probably wasn't the best way for her to explain it since Diana would get the wrong idea and sink her nails deeper into her crow's tattooed bicep, but Satine continued, nonetheless.

"I love Mingyu; it will always be Mingyu."

"I don't get it. You guys are together enough to be in love, but you're not dating? It's weird."

Satine rolled her eyes. She was always one step away from blowing her cover and revealing that she knew their secret, but the fear of Mingyu taking the easy way out and choosing Diana kept her quiet.

"For all intents and purposes, I'm his and he's mine, it's just the commitment of labels that he's scared of and where that leads, you know?"

For a best friend, Diana was great at turning her nose up at Satine's choices. "You're just going to break each other's hearts..."

Satine was truly shaking with fury.

"Will you shut up and stop sticking your nose into my life? Grieve our dead friend for fuck sake. Mine and Jeonghan's relationship is none of your business and nothing Mingyu has to worry about."

It would have sounded more convincing if Satine believed it herself, but in actual fact, all she could think about for the past week was her boss and his irritable smile every time he passed her desk. He understood her in ways no one else did. He knew what she needed before her brain had even processed it yet.

If she wasn't head over heels in love with her crow, she may have been fooled into believing Jeonghan was her perfect match.

Dropping back into her sulk, Diana made the mistake of mumbling under her breath. "I don't know why you're acting as if I don't know you better than you know yourself." If she was smart, she would have been more careful with her words. Instead, she decided to poke the bear.

"No, you don't know me!" Satine snapped back. "You like to think you do, but you don't. You have no clue what it's like to be me! You have no idea what I've gone through; what I have to deal with on a daily basis. I know your childhood was fucked, but you blossomed despite it all! I'm still getting over so much shit! Damn, bitch..."

If she hadn't of composed herself at that moment, Satine could have had Diana by the throat; making her regret the day she thought she could touch her crow.

Diana sat small; silenced by her friend's outburst. Satine was always calm and collected, even when she could have blown the roof off.

"Come on, Star, you have to admit that you've had it easier than most..." Diana always did have a problem with her frankness. "What- Where are you going?" She sighed as Satine got up and stormed towards the kitchen. She was rustling through the cupboards, clearly trying to find something.

A memory had been triggered. One she was desperate to forget.

"I need a fucking drink and I know he has a bottle of tequila somewhere."

Diana's eyes widened in absolute shock. Her best friend hadn't touched a proper drink in years; she still remembered the night she stopped so vividly.

Christmas Eve, 1993.

She didn't know what had happened for Satine to despise it so much, but the answer was never going to be simple. Nothing ever was with her. So, she just watched apprehensively as the redhead unscrewed the lid with a shaky hand and held it to her lips. It was as if she was fighting her inner demons on whether to take a sip.

She did, surprisingly, and Diana would have never been prepared for the information that poured out of her friend's mouth that night.

***

A/N

Let's get some juicyyyyy info🤩

Trying to find someone that looks like the Satine in my head is beyond difficult. This is as close as I could find.

This girl is like incredibly but Satine is supposed to be a little more siren-esc. I attached a picture of when I made her on Art Breeder. She's supposed to be like a model type beauty, but with this unique twist that makes her so irresistible. But then I also imagine her to look like she's always got something sharp and intelligent to say.

 But then I also imagine her to look like she's always got something sharp and intelligent to say