star: avoiding problems

Start from the beginning

She was also pretty sure he didn't have the greatest childhood, that was obvious by the reserved personality and clear dependence on Satine. But the major giveaway were the scars his tattoos failed to cover.

Cigarette burns.

Diana had a few similar, though she wore hers like a badge of honour. They were proof she'd successfully escaped her childhood.

Mingyu was a runaway child through and through - just like her come to think of it. She couldn't help but want to know more about him; find out how he ticked despite it all.

If not, maybe she could teach him how she coped.

"Bacon and eggs?" He called over his shoulder as he put a pan down on the gas. For a second he had to stop and listen to himself back. He was cooking for someone other than himself for once. That day was full of firsts.

"Yes, fucking please," she spewed her words out so fast it was almost as if he offered her a million bucks.

He couldn't keep the smile away from his face; no matter how hard he tried. She was funny, the natural kind, which in his opinion was one of the best types to be. Her words were often dry and monotonous, which was hilarious only because it contrasted with her sweetness.

Half the shit that came out of her mouth was unexpected.

There wasn't a doubt in Mingyu's mind that she would fit in with their little group, especially alongside Wonwoo. Her company was charming and interesting; the type to have you whirled up in conversation for hours.

"So, what do you do all day when Star's not here?" Why did everyone ask that question? "You leave at like nine in the morning, man, could never be me." She hopped off of the bar stall and tottered over to his bookcase, discreetly watching him.

Nosy.

"That sounded suggestive..." What did she think he was doing, and was it bad?

She shrugged. "It was just a question."

He kept his back to her. This girl was quick and observant, there was no way he was letting her see his forehead tremble.

"If you must know, I go and see DK. We work on music, chill, drink."

Pulling a book from the shelf, Diana's bottom lip folded out. Jane Austen... good taste.

"Oh..." A small smirk pulled at her lips. "So you don't leave to avoid me?"

Holy fucking shit, he thought. His mouth had opened slightly, and his eyeballs were trying their very best to focus on something, anything.

"How presumptuous," was all he managed to say.

Diana laughed, which only forced him to glance over at her. It wasn't anger igniting within him, it was something else - something way stronger. That laugh, boy it was something.

"Look," she said, looking down so that her long black eyelashes touched her cheek. "I get it, it's awkward."

"It's not awkward," he shrugged and looked away.

It was awkward.

She let out another little disbelieving chuckle and his attention settled back on her rather than the burnt bacon. There was no ignoring her when that glorious sound radiated her small frame.

Mingyu was right about her being a problem.

"Sit down and eat, smart-ass."

Diana pressed her lips together and dragged her feet back over to the breakfast bar. Sometimes she was too frank for her own good; usually when she felt comfortable around someone.