chapter 27 • i hate that i like you so much. it makes me look fucking stupid

Start from the beginning

but, older adam had stayed behind.

he grabbed rays shoulders, slamming him into the brick wall.

"what the hell?" ray asked.

"i'm not supposed to do this; you ever hear of the expression, every bully has a bully, ray?" older adam asked .

ray's eyes went wide, as he shook his head.

"well, yours isn't holding up his end of the bargain, so i'm gonna take over."

"what are you talking about?"

"you're a good fighter. you like to kick ass. you're a big kid. but if you go near adam again, i'll know, and i will find you, ray. and it won't be like a couple of kids in a playground scrap. i will pull bones out of your body, i will sharpen them, and i will use them to stab little chuckle over here."

"what did i do?" chuck asked.

"shut your mouth, or i'll fill it with rays feet." older adam threatened. "do you understand what i'm saying, ray? got all of it? the bones? your feet? in chuckies mouth?"

"yeah." ray nodded weakly.

"are you peeing right now?"

"yeah."

"get yourself home, and clean yourself up. be the change you wanna see, okay?"

while he did that, i'd already found adam.

he'd run all the way home, and was about to lock the door, but i shoved it open.

"go away." adam said, turning around to face the wall, and not me.

"we have to talk, adam." i insisted.

"about what? that i called you my girlfriend? it was stupid. it slipped out. it was an accident. i didn't mean it. it's never gonna happen again." adam glared,

"jesus. okay." i said, trying to process all of the words he spewed at me. "why are you so mad?"

"you. i'm mad at you. i hate you."

"what?"

adam took a deep breath,

"i don't hate you. i didn't mean it. but i hate the way you make me feel. ray was right. you were so, so mean to me. for years. and then you kissed me, and now i can't even think properly when we're in the same room." he began to ramble.

"i hate that i like you so much. it makes me look fucking stupid. when you insulted me, i still thought you were the prettiest girl in the world."

"i've never hated you, and i hate that. i hate that i've always liked you, and i don't think i'll ever be able to stop."

"i like you so much and i hate it. but i like it a lot, i can't explain it. but, i don't care if it's embarrassing. because i really like you."

i grabbed his face, kissing him and wrapping my arms around him.

"what does that mean?" he asked, when i let go.

"are you dumb?" i asked.

"i just poured my heart out to you, and that's what you say?" he asked, placing a hand over his heart.

i laughed, and took a seat out on the couch.

adam rummaged through the things of his older self, while i thought about what he'd just told me.

suddenly, a voice was heard.

"adam, get out of my stuff and open the door." older adam instructed, seeing him through the glass door.