Rooting for Your Happiness

//This can be read as a continuation of the last one shot; Better Fates, Worse Futures.

Summary:

I'm happy for you, Kai." She finally broke the silence, with kinder words. 

"Thank you, Cinder." 

The last time they had talked Cinder had been very bitter, breaking all ties between them ruthlessly. Today she wanted to break the silence and be kinder in spirits to both of them. 

"Kai,-" she called for his attention, he perked up at her, staring right in her eyes. It was very intimidating and she wasn't habitual to it anymore. 

....

Life doesn't always take the sharp turns that were meant for it, when Cinder finds herself in a role different from the one she had always pictured in Kai's wedding: she is at the loss of words to describe her sorrow. He has moved on with his life, Cinder however fails to let go of her grief and past. Will the best day of Kai's life also bring some joy to Cinder or was she always meant to a life of loneliness ?

__

//Cinder's Perspective:

With elements of unbound joy, taking roots in her life like this it was hard to contain her smiles and laughs. At 16, her only desire was to leave the abusive household of Adri behind her and make herself a living in Europe. It wasn't the best dream but it made her happy, nonetheless. She had her skills to trust in and Iko to keep her motivated throughout. At 17, she only wanted a good night's sleep. At 18, she wanted the media to stop criticizing her for once and a good night's sleep was still desired. At 20, she wanted to be a just queen and make herself the best Lunar queen, not like there was much competition. It was a heartless, murderous tyrant against a generous cyborg girl, it wasn't hard to tell who would win the best ruler award. At 25, she wanted to stop giving a fuck and marry Kai. At 26, she just wanted to give up on her shot at happiness- 10 years is all it takes to shatter her spirits. Most time she endured the possibilities of being an ex-lunar queen and an Ambassador at best. However, sometimes she just had to face realities that weren't easy to digest, and right now one of her worst dreams was being relived.

"Do you take Kaito for your lawfully wedded husband?"

I can't.

"I do."

She had always thought about what her life would be like had she been human enough to marry a man. Adri always said no one would marry a cyborg. Peony always told her she would find someone who would love her more than life itself. No one told her what she would face when she would find the man who loved her more than life but won't marry her. 

Cinder was an independent woman. Selene was an independent Queen. But in the grey area of the mingling of her own two embodiments, she just wanted happiness- wanted to call someone truly her own and be the same for someone- for Kai.

The white veil was never made for her- she thought she won't ever be a blushing bride. The sadistic irony of not being able to either of the two viciously made her smile.  She would rather be an audience before the people who she truly loved- smiling for the ceremony she would never experience herself. Perhaps, this could be her dictatorship origin story. What a trifle thought!

She shook out of her reverie thanks to the question asked-

"I am sure this would be difficult for you, Selene," commented Queen Camilla. 

Cinder was never fond of Camilla since she always teamed up with once President Vargas to bring up the insanity of her relationship with Kai. 

"It's a happy day for Emperor Kaito. I hope to find peace for my difficulties in his happiness."